4 Port USB Hub With 2 UpStreams..

Razes

Joined Jul 17, 2007
My project is to design 4 ports USB hub with 2 UpStreams, another function to be add later as below:

-switch to swithing between 2 upstreams
-indicator
- security switch

I've tried searching related circuit but did not found it.. could anyone help me?

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
There are two ways to approach this, the first is to use USB hub ICs, which would greatly simplify the project. However, there might be very little scope for modifications, such as your requirements for switching or two upstreams.

The second approach is to build this using building blocks. You need to source USB line drivers, then a central controller to pass and switch the streams. An FPGA or a fast processor (depending on your required data rate) might be suitable. You'd also need to implement all the hub processing inside the controller.

Razes

Joined Jul 17, 2007
There are two ways to approach this, the first is to use USB hub ICs, which would greatly simplify the project. However, there might be very little scope for modifications, such as your requirements for switching or two upstreams.

The second approach is to build this using building blocks. You need to source USB line drivers, then a central controller to pass and switch the streams. An FPGA or a fast processor (depending on your required data rate) might be suitable. You'd also need to implement all the hub processing inside the controller.
I prefer to take the first one, but as you say, there might be very little scope for modification, i would like to see your opinion about my project, I've build my block diagram, but i think there should be little modification before i proceed to my project. can you give me your opinion?

http://www.uploadpod.com/img/36112263

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
First, what kind of controls and switches for the streams do you have in mind? This will have implications on how your design would work.

Second, what is your target speed? Low, full or hi?