4-digit LED clock

cmsch180

Joined Jun 26, 2008
hello all, I'm new to this site, i was wondering if any of you guys could help me out with something, i have a 4" 4 digit 7 segment LED display that i would like to make into a clock, but im confused as to the wiring of the display it only has 17 pins on the connector:confused:, any help or ideas would be appreciated. thanks

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Do you have a part number for the LED display?

You will probably find that your display was designed for multiplexing; there are 7 leads used for segments a, b, c, d, e, f, and g, and another one or two used for the colon. You probably have an AM/PM indicator on there as well, maybe even an "alarm on" indicator.

The other leads are either common cathodes or common anodes for each of the number displays.

cmsch180

Joined Jun 26, 2008
unfortunately no there are no part numbers on it, and the way you described it, it would have to have 31 pins instead of 17, and it does have the AM/PM, and "alarm on" indicators.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

If the display has only 17 pins, it will be multiplexed.
To built a clock with it you have to know how it should be connected.
It is also importend to know if it is common cathode or common anode.

Greetings,
Bertus

cmsch180

Joined Jun 26, 2008
ok, I'll try that and see if i can figure anything out
and could someone give me a quick explanation of multiplexing?

cmsch180

Joined Jun 26, 2008
ok, i found a driver for the display(TB62709N) the clock ic (DS1307) and i have a control crystal(DS32KHZ-N) could anyone help me with a simple way to hook them all up? and if i need any other parts...:confused:

Data sheet for display driver will be an attachment

here is the data sheet for the clock ic
http://datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/DS1307.pdf

Attachments

Last edited: