4-bit parallel adder 74LS283 and 74LS83A

PG1995

Joined Apr 15, 2011
Hi

It is said that the only difference between the ICs 74LS83A and 74LS283 is that their pin numbers differ for the same operations. 74LS283 has more standard pin configuration, i.e. GND is at pin #8 and Vcc at pin #16. I was wondering if the two are functionally same, then what's the need for two different numbers for the ICs which do the same job. Perhaps, it is because of the same ICs made by two different manufacturers. What do you think? Please let me know. Thank you.

Regards
PG

PG1995

Joined Apr 15, 2011
Thanks for the reply.

I don't have any datasheets neither the ICs. Just was going through a book and read about the ICs.

Regards
PG

PG1995

Joined Apr 15, 2011
apart from the pinout they seem the same
Yes, this is what I have said in my first post. I looked at some links on the net and they seemed the same and I was wondering why two different versions of the same thing.

Regards
PG

Last edited:

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
The only reason I can think of is that back in those days when the chip was first made some company ordered the chips with this pinout to fit in their deisgn better, and later on the manufacturer made the same chip but this time with connections made in the standard way.