4-1 Multiplexing Analog Signals into Labview

ryan_o

Joined Sep 25, 2009
Hello,

I have built a custom PCB using 16 force sensors, and necessary op-amps to create an output of 0-5V which I capture using a 16 channel National Instruments DAQ card. My desire now is to expand the sensor count and use the same capture card so I'm guessing I will have to multiplex at the cost of sampling rate.

Could someone please point me in the right direction to do this? I've never used multiplexing circuits and am not really sure where to start. Ideally I would like to use a 4-1 analog multiplex for 64 sensors into 16 inputs. Is it possible to then demultiplex through software (labview)? It would be perfect if I could have a timed signal as follows:

sens1-sens2-sens3-sens4-sens1-sens2-sens3-sens4 ...

I would like to maintain a minimum of 100Hz for each channel, but ideally 1000Hz is what I'm after.

Thanks for your help!

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Hello,

I have built a custom PCB using 16 force sensors, and necessary op-amps to create an output of 0-5V which I capture using a 16 channel National Instruments DAQ card. My desire now is to expand the sensor count and use the same capture card so I'm guessing I will have to multiplex at the cost of sampling rate.

Could someone please point me in the right direction to do this? I've never used multiplexing circuits and am not really sure where to start. Ideally I would like to use a 4-1 analog multiplex for 64 sensors into 16 inputs. Is it possible to then demultiplex through software (labview)? It would be perfect if I could have a timed signal as follows:

sens1-sens2-sens3-sens4-sens1-sens2-sens3-sens4 ...

I would like to maintain a minimum of 100Hz for each channel, but ideally 1000Hz is what I'm after.

Thanks for your help!

Howdy:

I don't know what your budget is for this. If you're using a PXI cage, there are multiplexers available for doing just this:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/6304

Eric