3D Printer

jakegwood

Joined Apr 13, 2011
So, as I start college life, I am not saving up for a new stereo system for the dorm or a huge TV. Nope. Instead I want to get a 3D printer and make some stuff.

Just want suggestions. Goop (That's the term I've heard... don't know if there's something more technical) vs. String vs. Other? I know goop makes smoother models, but I've heard the models are far more delicate. String doesn't look as nice but I believe it's a little stronger? Also I've found prices for the goop (~$50/kg) and the good size spools of the acryllic string (~$90) but the numbers don't mean much to me as I don't really know what kind of quantities I'd be going through.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I remember seeing the first over a decade ago, using UV setting plastic. With UV LEDs (and presumably UV lasers) it could get much cheaper over time. An opinion, not a fact.

If you go forward with this I would be interested in the results.

jakegwood

Joined Apr 13, 2011
Bill,

I did more research, and this seems to be the best:

http://botmill.com/index.php/3d-printers/axiskit.html

I wanted something I could build mechanically, but not electronically, since I am not that comfortable with Microncontrollers and stepper motors etc. Not sure if you're at the same level or where you live, but this is the only thing that was at my level sold in US. I think this is what I'll end up getting, but I'll keep you posted.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
It would be cool if they had two dispensers, one for the structure, and one for a conductive material. If you could pause in the middle of it printing, you could do some interesting electronic stuff.