36v transformer dual 18v 9v 0v .5amps - EML-500 synthesizer transformer replacement

Joined Nov 30, 2010
isn't there just a simple 2 in 6 out,
Your schematic shows that you could use 2 in, 4 out, if I'm reading it right. That is, the center taps on the two secondaries are not connected to anything, but the photo is blurry. What seems wrong about the transformer I found is that it can be connected to 120 volts or 240 volts as the primary voltage, but you want 36 volts for the primary and (2) 18 volt windings for the secondaries. That is so unusual that I don't know what to do about it.

Last edited:

ronsuzuki

Joined Feb 9, 2012
Your schematic shows that you could use 2 in, 4 out, if I'm reading it right. That is, the center taps on the two secondaries are not connected to anything, but the photo is blurry. What seems wrong about the transformer I found is that it can be connected to 120 volts or 240 volts as the primary voltage, but you want 36 volts for the primary and (2) 18 volt windings for the secondaries. That is so unusual that I don't know what to do about it.

The secondary is dual 18v-9v-0v, 18v-9v-0v. The 9v winding (center tap) of both secondaries is not used. So i'm guessing that means the transformer could be replaced with a dual secondary 18v-0v, 18v-0v. Not even a center tapped transformer, so i could look for a dual 36 volt non center tapped transformer... Am I understanding this?

Is there a Hammond version of this? How about TE electronics. i found this.
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...%2b6f1OGdQF7Q1uXYGIg7RpK4YzCCnjaehImFd8dntQ==

Last edited:

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
The secondary is dual 18v-9v-0v, 18v-9v-0v. The 9v winding (center tap) of both secondaries is not used. So i'm guessing that means the transformer could be replaced with a dual secondary 18v-0v, 18v-0v. Not even a center tapped transformer, so i could look for a dual 36 volt non center tapped transformer... Am I understanding this?

Is there a Hammond version of this? How about TE electronics. i found this.
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity/4900-8036RC62/?qs=/ha2pyFadugsR%2b6f1OGdQF7Q1uXYGIg7RpK4YzCCnjaehImFd8dntQ==
Your circuit is making a +/- 15 volt supply. So the windings need to be separate.
You could use a 36 volt center tapped, but you would need to modify the rest of the circuit significantly.

ronsuzuki

Joined Feb 9, 2012
Your circuit is making a +/- 15 volt supply. So the windings need to be separate.
You could use a 36 volt center tapped, but you would need to modify the rest of the circuit significantly.
That would make sence. I guess that means i could use my MOTM modular synthesizer power supply in place of the EML power supply. That's +15 -15V as well. Pretty standard modular synth power.
What about using two single secondary winding transformers to supply the +, -? Not practical, but would two transformers work?

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
That would make sence. I guess that means i could use my MOTM modular synthesizer power supply in place of the EML power supply. That's +15 -15V as well. Pretty standard modular synth power.
What about using two single secondary winding transformers to supply the +, -? Not practical, but would two transformers work?
Yes, that would work. or 2 what they call wall worts would also work. You may have some laying around. Most people do.

ronsuzuki

Joined Feb 9, 2012
Yes, that would work. or 2 what they call wall worts would also work. You may have some laying around. Most people do.
I've heard about the two wall warts, haven't tried that yet. How about this hammond transformer? It's dual primary and dual secondary
266G36 18 36V @ 0.5A 18V
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/177/5c0016-17-71099.pdf
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hammond/266G36/?qs=/ha2pyFaduj1DCU/D9Ec0DSl2%2bVim1QyEdzT6KYTNbg=

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008

EM Fields

Joined Jun 8, 2016

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
When loaded around 80 to 90% of its rated power. The voltage should be approx the rated value.

A 120 watt 12 volt secondary rating should be 12 volts when carrying 8 to 9 amps of current. At light loads the voltage will rise higher than the rating.