36 volt DC battery indicator on a 24 volt system

samsonboxer

Joined Jun 28, 2024
Hello, I have a LED battery indicator (36 volts) built into a throttle for an electric scooter. The issue is the scooter is 24 volts so i assume the indicator will not read correctly. Is there anyway to modify these components so the battery indicator would read correctly

Attachments

samsonboxer

Joined Jun 28, 2024
I added it but at the time didn’t realize that it was 36 volts and the return window has closed. The throttle portion works well but would like to get the indicator to work correctly.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Open the indicator and take pictures.
Internally, the circuit will reduce 36V input to a suitable lower voltage range.
You need to modify the internal circuit to give less attenuation. A simple resistor change is all that is necessary. You just need to determine which resistor to change and to what value.

Edit: Dodgydave beat me to it.

samsonboxer

Joined Jun 28, 2024
Yes I have full access to the voltage connection
Open the indicator and take pictures.
Internally, the circuit will reduce 36V input to a suitable lower voltage range.
You need to modify the internal circuit to give less attenuation. A simple resistor change is all that is necessary. You just need to determine which resistor to change and to what value.

Edit: Dodgydave beat me to it.
Unfortunately the indicator is sealed up and looks like the only way to access it is to break it open. I have access to the power wire that is dedicated to this indicator could I put some type of resistor there? This is for my granddaughte’s scooter and she is always running out of battery so I’m hoping to come up with a fix where she would have some sort of an idea of how much remaing battery power she has left.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
No. An external resistor will not solve the problem. You would need to amplify the incoming voltage to 150%.
I have repaired a number of devices that seemingly appear to be impossible to open. They are held together with tabs around the edges of the case. I would just try to force it open even if you end up breaking the tabs.

Your other option is just leave it alone and use it as is.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
You would need some type of voltage boost circuit to convert the 0-24V proportionally into 0-36V and unfortunately, that's requires more than just a resistor or two.
One way would be a small 36V boost switching regulator (example), powering a circuit (such as transistor or high-voltage op amp) with a gain of 36/24 = 1.5.

Last edited:

samsonboxer

Joined Jun 28, 2024
No. An external resistor will not solve the problem. You would need to amplify the incoming voltage to 150%.
I have repaired a number of devices that seemingly appear to be impossible to open. They are held together with tabs around the edges of the case. I would just try to force it open even if you end up breaking the tabs.

Your other option is just leave it alone and use it as is.
Fair enough I will get that open and take a photo of the circuit for the battery indicator and post it. I appreciate your time

samsonboxer

Joined Jun 28, 2024
You would need some type of voltage boost circuit to convert the 0-24V proportionally into 0-36V and unfortunately, that's requires more than just a resistor or two.
One way would be a small 36V boost switching regulator (example), powering a circuit (such as transistor or high-voltage op amp) with a gain of 36/24 = 1.5.
Makes sense so if I boost the power of the lead that goes to the indicator it should read pretty close I assume.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
To go that route, you would require an amplifier with a gain of 1.5, for example, you need to amplify 24V to 36V. In order to do that you need a power source of at least 36V, maybe 40V. Hopefully, you can see the obstacles that present here.

samsonboxer

Joined Jun 28, 2024
To go that route, you would require an amplifier with a gain of 1.5, for example, you need to amplify 24V to 36V. In order to do that you need a power source of at least 36V, maybe 40V. Hopefully, you can see the obstacles that present here.
Not to mention the heat in a very enclosed place. You were correct I was able to get access to the circuit board (see attached)

Attachments