34063 converter for powering USB

andrew24

Joined Aug 20, 2008
Hello,

I'm designing a schematic of a buck converter using popular MC34063 IC.
It will power USB port (5V, 500mA) plus some additional devices.
Here is the schematic: http://www.nomad.ee/micros/mc34063a/

The input range will be quite large: 8 to 30V (it must work from 9V, 12V, 24V power supplies )
output voltage: 5V
output current: 0.75A
Fosc: 100kHz

In formulas you have to use the minimum Vin, so i used 8V.
I get about 296pF timing capacitor, and 9.4 uH inductor.

The main issue that worries me is what happens to the circuit operation if i end up using the 9.4uH inductor and 296pF and then feed bigger input voltage than i used in calculation? Will the circuit work ok?

Because if i use larger input voltage in calculations, let's say 24V
, the inductor then needs to be 28uH.. What inductor value to choose? 10uH or 28uH?

I wil be glad if someone could help me:)

Last edited:

andrew24

Joined Aug 20, 2008
First of all that schematics is not right for a step down converter. The inductor is not supposed to short the output.
Look here instead. (Or a million other places)
http://dics.voicecontrol.ro/tutorials/mc34063/

Secondly, a bigger inductor won't hurt anything but size and cost.
Sorry, i have drawn my schematics right from datasheet but haven't noticed that it is not step down when posting link.

I will use bigger value for the inductor, but what about timing capacitor? On what input voltage value should it be based? minimum (8V) or maximum (30V)?

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
Try a little experiment:

1. Get a cheap Chinese USB car phone charger for a few dollars. These are step down converters based on the MC34063A or an equivalent device and most are labeled to accept inputs from 12V to 24V.

2. Remove the inductor and replace with a 330μH torroidal inductor capable of 2A.

3. Load the output with a 5Ω 10W resistor.

4. Connect the input to a variable DC power supply. Monitor the output voltage and current while sweeping the input voltage from 24 down to 7.5.

Last edited: