30khz triangle wave

hobolo

Joined Aug 10, 2013
Hi guys, i am trying to build a triangle wave oscillator 30khz using ua741 op amp. But i cant get the output, can anyone pls help me with the design? The circuit is the normal schmit trigger and integrator circuit combination. Can u guys tell me what values i shud use for the resistors and capacitor. I understand that the formula is given by f= (R2/R1)(1/4RtC).

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
You'd be very lucky to find a 741 with that frequency response.

However post your circuit for comment and check that you have built it correctly.

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
but i need 30khz, because of my teacher. Is it possible to use 741 for 30khz?
A 741 has a 0.5 V/uS slew rate and, therefore, should be able to generate a 30 KHz triangular wav with an amplitude of about 8 V p-p.

As studiot said, let's have the schematic.

Ramesh

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Can u guys tell me what values i shud use for the resistors and capacitor. I understand that the formula is given by f= (R2/R1)(1/4RtC).
Have you never heard of "plug 'n' chug"? Pick a capacitor and calculate the R values. Repeat until all R and C values are practical.

But, I think you'll struggle to get 30kHz from the 741. Try getting 3kHz working first.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
Ramussons wrote:

A 741 has a 0.5 V/uS slew rate and, therefore, should be able to generate a 30 KHz triangular wav with an amplitude of about 8 V p-p.
If the op-amp is used as the comparator then it has to have a slew rate many times faster -- more than 10 V/uS to keep from rounding the peaks of the triangle wave too badly.

hobolo

Joined Aug 10, 2013
ok thanks for the help guys, I will change the op amps. What other factors do I need to consider inorder to generate 30khz triangle wave. Is the circuit diagram I am using capable of producing 30khz triangle wave.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
You need to specify the degree of accuracy you need to define the "triangle". A square wave is a high-error triangle. A sine wave is closer. An RC charge-discharge profile might be still closer. The 741 might produce something resembling a triangle, I'm frankly not sure. What do you really need?

hobolo

Joined Aug 10, 2013
Now I am using LF356 op amp but I cant get any output. I used R2=10k, R1= 5.6k, Rt= 1k and C = 0.1microF. I am not getting any output waveform with this and I am still using the same schmitt trigger + integrator circuit. Is my values of my resistors and capacitors wrong?

Attachments

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
First are you getting any output from the square wave?

Second if you disconnect the square wave generator from the integrator, does the integrator work with a suitable DC input voltage?

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Is my values of my resistors and capacitors wrong?
How did you determine the values? Did you plug those values into the formula to see if your choices were correct?

I suggest you get a copy of OpAmps for Everyone. It's available from Texas Instruments and there is your oscillator of choice in that pdf file.

I am not getting any output waveform with this and I am still using the same schmitt trigger + integrator circuit.
Can you post the diagram of your circuit ... as built ... since the one you keep posting does not have a Schmidt trigger.

The circuit diagram you keep displaying should work just fine. If you've breadboarded the circuit, take a photo....

Last edited: