300V 5A Solar Panel Simulator

ranier

Joined Mar 6, 2012
Hi all. I am trying to use a voltage regulator to simulate solar panel I-V curve(cos they have the similar curve). Unlike normal ones, I am going to design a solar panel simulator up to 350V and 5A, which means the maximum power dissipation can be up to 1700W.

Transistors in my voltage regulator can only dissipate 250 to 300W power at maximum. What should I do to dissipate that much power of 1700W? Or should I just abandon my design and think of something else? Please help me cos it's quite urgent. Thank you.

ranier

Joined Mar 6, 2012
Hi thanks for the reply. I am using p-channel Mosfet transistors. And the ones I can find on the web have a maximum power dissipation of about 3W, such as IRF9540, which is very unsatisfactory to me.
The power that they supposed to dissipate should be close to 1700W.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Hi thanks for the reply. I am using p-channel Mosfet transistors. And the ones I can find on the web have a maximum power dissipation of about 3W, such as IRF9540, which is very unsatisfactory to me.
The power that they supposed to dissipate should be close to 1700W.
The 9540 has 140W max rating. In the datasheet they describe that the TO220 package is the preferred package for power dissipations up to 50W.

Still to low.

Why does it need to be done with P-FETs?