3001 in 1 electronics lab schematic help

apac

Joined May 27, 2008
On Project 2 Transistor Radio everything seems ok until you get to the connecting wires and instead of just point to point like J14-N14

it says G11-35-32-31-Ground

I have tried many ways of connecting this and it still won't work

can anyone tell me how it should be wired?

G11 is a breadboard, 35,32,31 are spring connectors and ground I assume is the wire that it tells you earlier to attach to spring 35 and an earth like a cold water pipe

Can any help me or should I post the schematic?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Why not use the albums that are part of this site. I am not going to download software to look at drawings, so I can't help much.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
OK, the 1st photo shows enough.

G11-35-32-31-Ground
Connect G11 to 35
Connect 35 to 32
Connect 32 to 31
Connect 31 to a ground.
Unfortunately, the advice to connect it to a cold water pipe is no longer valid for newer homes in the States, as water pipes have been made from PVC plastic for a number of years now.

If you want to connect to a real ground, and you're in the States, and your electrical outlets have 3-hole jacks for electrical plugs, then:
There is a screw in the center of the outlet that holds the plate on. This screw is connected to electrical ground in the dwelling, and eventally to earth ground. You can back the screw out a little bit, wrap the end of your ground wire around the screw, and re-tighten the screw.

If you aren't in the States or don't have three-hole outlets, then try the water faucet.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
My Internet connection decided to croak on me in mid-post :rolleyes:

At least I managed to copy the text out before it went off into the bit bucket.

apac

Joined May 27, 2008
I understand what you are saying but........:)

in an earlier step you connect a wire from 35 to ground, so is there any need to go from 31 to ground directly? could you just go from 31 back to 35 or not have any wire as it does eventually go from 35 which is grounded to 31

Or is it as simple as these points are not connected back to earth and therefore you must run 2 seperate earths from 31 and 35?

I know i am a newbie at some of this but it seems a kinda confusing way to word it in a beginners book.

Anyway thanks for your help, apologies did not realise there was a gallery or if it would have shown up clearly enough in there and I assumed windows or mac would display the picture without any special download.

Also I am in Australia so I will try the tap

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Um... no!

The first time pin 35 is referenced is right after G11; you connect a wire from G11 to 35.
It doesn't mention connecting pin 35 to anything prior to that...

Unless you didn't remove Project 1 before starting in on Project 2! :eek:

Double-check all of the parts and wires that you've put in thus far; it should rather look like the drawing under the "Project 2" title.

Note under R1, at location G11 - there's a wire coming out of that socket, and running to the left, pointing at 35. It gets connected there.

Then note too, on the left side of the 30's terminals - 31, 32, and 35 are all connected together. Then there is another wire running from 35 off the board to earth ground.

So there are three connections to terminal 35. This is normal - happens all the time!

apac

Joined May 27, 2008
step 9 should not be taken as a seperate step to the actual wire connections but more as a guide, is that correct?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
step 9 should not be taken as a seperate step to the actual wire connections but more as a guide, is that correct?
Yes, that's correct. Now I see what you're talking about. I was getting tired when I scanned the instructions, and I skipped that reference somehow.

I agree, it could be written more clearly. They should've had the "Connecting Wires" paragraph first, and the 35-to-ground connection flagged with an asterisk (*) with the explanatory paragraph below.