30 amp relay type question???

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
They have a fairly decent trouble shooting section, and you can see why you need to be able to use a meter as they give quite a few useful diagnostic tests, also confirms the issue with the relay and the way to test it.
What is the actual problem you are having? the motor does not turn over when you operate the key?
Max.

andrew_lbreman

Joined Jul 20, 2013
with the new relay installed the gauge cluster comes on and gives me a p06 16 code. which means starter relay open to ground. I changed the starter relay to a brand new oem one. the rfid key called a d.e.s.s. or dess key send code to computer which allows the gauge cluster to come on. I know the key is good because the gauges come on. I know the switch is good because I tracked the wires and also when I press the start button with the dess key on, the signal goes turns the fuel pump on to pressurize the lines in prep for starting. The problem is the code, and when I press start I get no actuating of the starter solenoid (relay). I bridge the solenoid and I get the motor to crank. I test the two wires and one is a ground and the other is a hot 12v. My understanding is that the ground is the one that is actuated.

andrew_lbreman

Joined Jul 20, 2013
The more I put this out and tell people about it, the more I am starting to think my ECM (computer) is messed up inside. I thought it was fine because it recognizes the keys and gives the two beeps ( code when putting key on post to let you know the ECM is properly functioning). I think I might take it to the Seadoo dealer and farm this out.

gnuuser

Joined Jan 17, 2013
Max like I said I am a pretty good mechanic but dont know how to properly test electronics. I dont really know how to do a ohm test and also the original relay is broken. I took it out of its case and put it in a ultrasonic cleaner. I now get it to click but thats it.
it sounds to me like you have burned contacts in the relay.
with your typical multimeter (digital) the lowest ohm scale setting is usually used for continuity testing(verifying a complete path for current flow.
usually they will have a small musical note at one setting this is the continuity testing position.
your analog multimeters (needle and scale type) you would also use the lowest ohm scale setting but would watch for the full deflection of the needle.

you can look up the layout of the relay by checking the manufacturers website

andrew_lbreman

Joined Jul 20, 2013
Ok so I took it to the dealer and after 4 hours of tracking labor, the 12v and ground were crossing just before they went into the starter solenoid(relay). Now no problems. It is great. they cut the wires off, repinned it and no more problems. they also resoldered a loose pin in the computer plug. Thank you all for the help. I learned alot about electronics and felt better that it took the professional seadoo certified mechanic 4 hours to find a crossed connection. He said he did all of the same things (tracked every wire on the wiring harness and had to go back to the beginning) as me with this one. He saw the relay and started to question that as well so I must not be too dumb. Max I appreciate that you hung in there with me and my lack of knowledge. I am way to busy to go ride right now but Everything is tip top and I have only had to put about half of the value into this one. Again I really appreciate the help. Gonna put it out on the dock next week. A++++++++++ to max and everyone else that helped out.