3 way toggle switch

ron110

Joined Jul 1, 2009
I was hoping that I could purchase a 3 way toggle switch so that I could replace my riding lawn mower switch which is bad and the company is out of business. I also wanted a simpler more direct wiring design. The 3 way switch I want to buy would at the top be a push/release position type for the starter to engage ...once engine starts the switch springs releases to center hold (on) and of course the engine cutoff would be bottom switch toggle to hold (0ff) position...The bottom and center position are fixed and the top is a flip and hold/release position (not fixed)

I need to find out what brand switch (a link) I need to purchase for a 12 volt battery system with 3 way toggle, solenoid, starter, magneto, ground as only circuit components.

I would appreciate your expertise in this area.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I need to find out what brand switch (a link) I need to purchase for a 12 volt battery system with 3 way toggle
It sounds like you need an off/on/momentary on type switch.
You might be able to use an on/on/momentary type switch like this one:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=CKN1133-ND

solenoid, (What does this do? Are you grounding the solenoid connection?)
starter, (Is that the above solenoid for the starter?)
magneto, (You ground the magneto to turn the engine off, right?)
ground (Frame or battery ground, correct?)
as only circuit components.
For the datasheet on the above page, you'd connect the switch as follows:
Pin 1: Starter solenoid ground
Pin 2: Ground
Pin 3: no connection
Pin 4: Run solenoid ground (if applicable)
Pin 5: Ground
Pin 6: Magneto

However, most starter solenoids require +12v to activate. In that case, pin 2 would need to be connected to +12v (via a fuse) instead of ground.

Last edited:

ron110

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Thank you for you quick reply!...I beleive I understand the instructions...To make sure though, Below is the original wiring diagram I am forced to work with currently. I was wondering if I could make it all much simpler. Could someone draw me a diagram of the three way toggle switch connecting to the basic components I mention ln previous post above and draw me how the new diagram would look with the 6 pin 3 way toggle connection scheme, The 3 way toggle I want is off/on/push. I dont understand the 3 way toggle on/on/push you listed with a Link and how to make the lower 'on' act like an off position switch. Maybe a diagram would help me to understand. I really do appreciate this help.

Attachments

Last edited:

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Well, I'm afraid that the switch I suggested isn't up to the job. It's only rated for 5A, and your circuit shows a 15A fuse between it and the battery.

Are you certain that the ignition switch is malfunctioning?

Both the clutch brake switch and PTO switch need to be functioning properly and in the correct positions in order to energize the starter solenoid.

If the PTO switch position is changed after the engine is running and you remove yourself from the seat, the seat switch will short the armature output to ground, killing the engine.