3 Terminal Regulator Heatsink Question

Robertw55

Joined May 20, 2009
I have a 7805 3 terminal regulator.

I'm sending out 32V, 2A (from small solar panels) through a +5v 1A 7805 to a 5v 2A playstation PSP

I'm having trouble finding the correct dimensions I need for the heatsink. there are so many different types!

would this one work by chance?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102856

also from what i understand, i should use thermo grease (is that whats its called) between the regulator and heatsink? if possible, could you provide a link to this grease to make sure i get the right stuff?

many thanks

Robertw55

Joined May 20, 2009
is their a particular dimension I need with the 40w heatsink? are there a lot of different sizes or is there a standard size?

i'm looking for a 40w heatsink, but having no luck. (im googling "TO-220 40W heatsink")

thank you

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Try the biggest you can find. If the LM7805 shuts down due to overthermal detection try to cool it with a fan.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
what is the C per watt for a heatsink dissipating 40W?
Depends on permitted temperature rise and ambient temperature. Will this be in an air-conditioned space, or out in the summer heat?

Personally, I would use a switching regulator instead. Dissipating 40W in order to use 10W seems like a big waste to me.

Robertw55

Joined May 20, 2009
I'm doing a project where I'm taking the small solar panels off of some solar landscape lights that I have. they are 4v 250mA 1watt a piece approx.

I'm hooking them together to make a charger for my PSP which is 5v 2A

I was going to use a L7805 and a heatsink to regulate.

I'm not sure the given information changes what you said, but you think I should get a switching regulator? like a LM338 for example?

thanks

Bob Pease has an old motorcycle engine block for such heavy-duty heatsinking. But you'd still need a meatier regulator, as the L7805 is only good for 1.5 A, and the Vmax of 35 V is perilously close to your 32 V.

Off-the-shelf switching regulator modules are available for a reasonable price from suppliers like Farnell, RS, Digikey, Mouser, Newark etc. Search under DC-DC Converter.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
I'm sending out 32V, 2A (from small solar panels) through a +5v 1A 7805 to a 5v 2A playstation PSP
I'm doing a project where I'm taking the small solar panels off of some solar landscape lights that I have. they are 4v 250mA 1watt a piece approx.
Why not simply use a 2 x 8 array to generate 8v 2A instead of a 8 x 8 array to generate the unneeded (and problematic) voltage? Better yet, you could create a 2 x 32 array, increasing available current to compensate for overcast days.
The linear regulator would indeed be a simple and feasable solution in such case. Dissipation would be only 6W.