3 speed 12v motor wiring

DaleLN

Joined Jan 24, 2009
I have a 12v motor that I need some help with. It's a 12v trolling motor with 4 forward and 2 reverse speeds. Somehow the gasket failed and it filled with water and sat that way for a few months which led to corrosion inside it. The 1st and 2nd forward speeds and the 1st reverse speed don't work now. When I took the motor apart to see what was wrong I found a wire loose that I'm sure the corrosion caused. 4 wires go the motor from the speed selector switch. One to each of the 2 brushes and 2 more that go to what looks like copper wires wrapped in paper that are glued to the inside of the housing. The wire that is broken off is a pigtail that comes from the positive wire at the brush holder. It looks like it probably goes to the same place as the 2 wrapped with paper but I don't see a stub of copper wire sticking up that I can solder it back on to. Anybody have any ideas on it? If it matters, it's a Minn Kota motor and nothing on their website goes into the wiring inside the motor housing.
Any help is much appreciated.

duffy

Joined Dec 29, 2008
Can you take a picture of it? The paper thing glued to the inside of the housing is probably a thermal protection switch, it would only have two connections.

DaleLN

Joined Jan 24, 2009
Can you take a picture of it? The paper thing glued to the inside of the housing is probably a thermal protection switch, it would only have two connections.
Yesterday I decided to take an exacto knife and cut between the housing and the paper and finally got it out intact. It has a couple of layers of paper and coated copper wire. After carefully probing and searching I found the broken end and soldered on a new pigtail. I did the same for the other 2 leads coming out of it also. Reassembled the motor and all speeds work forward and reverse.
Thanks for the offer to help! I appreciate the time all took to read about the problem.