3 phase bridge

cryosar

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Dear All,
I have attached the three phase full wave bridge rectifier circuit. I wanted to know how much voltage will appear after the rectification, if the input voltage is 230 V(L-L) & if 230V (L-N). Can anybody tel me the formula and derivation, it will be very helpful to me. Thanks in advance

Attachments

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
Dear All,
I have attached the three phase full wave bridge rectifier circuit. I wanted to know how much voltage will appear after the rectification, if the input voltage is 230 V(L-L) & if 230V (L-N). Can anybody tel me the formula and derivation, it will be very helpful to me. Thanks in advance
Hi cryosar,

Never seen that circuit before - certainly not ever as a standard 3-phase bridge. I don't think any current would flow in the neutral link even if you added a DC side load. It might be interesting to simulate the circuit.

In a standard bridge connection one would expect the neutral either to be floating or acting as a DC side reference point - with the latter connection being the case if you wanted both a positive and negative (dual supply) output on the DC side.

rjenkins

Joined Nov 6, 2005
If that circuit was used two series smoothing capacitors, with the centre point of the caps to neutral, it would give the same output whether operating on a single phase or a three phase supply.

The output should be about double the peak of a single phase. In effect, any phase feeds two half wave rectifiers, one to positive and one to negative.

The two diodes to neutral would prevent either smoothing cap being reverse biassed as the load discharges them after the supply is removed.

Without the neutral link to the smoothing caps, the output should be the peak of the phase-to-phase voltage and it would work as a basic 3 phase (only) rec.

cryosar

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Just to complete this ....

Vdc = 2.34Vs

where Vs is the line-to-neutral voltage

If using line-to-line voltage [VL]

Vdc= 1.35VL

The measured values are for Line to neutral voltage Vs= 49V the Vdc is 57V
The measured values are for Line to Line voltage Vs= 49V the Vdc is 116V