3-input to 8-output switching

mikailgarcia

Joined Aug 11, 2013
hi,

am building a switching circuit that takes an input from 3 pins (3-bit), run through logic gates and provides a high pin on one of the 8 pins output. this is like a binary to decimal, except that only one of the 8 pins should be high.

am quite not sure if there is already a post earlier, however, i would need some help from anyone who can point me to the right direction, perhaps some sample circuits.

thanks a lot!

Last edited:

simo_x

Joined Dec 23, 2010
Hi,

except that only one of the 8 pins should be high.
Are you sure there is not a BCD decimal converter for your needs?

If not, what about using NMOS (maybe logic level) on each output or just using NOT gate?

Regards

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
If you want a switching using 3 pins to choosing one from eight inputs then it should be CD4051, if you want a decoder then you can using CD4028.

rogs

Joined Aug 28, 2009
Not quite sure why posters are recommending a CD4028, which is a BCD to Decimal decoder?
The OP says in his first post that he only requires 8 outputs, not 10 ?

A 3 to 8 decoder would seem to fit those specific requirements better....or have I missed something?..

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Not quite sure why posters are recommending a CD4028, which is a BCD to Decimal decoder?

A 3 to 8 decoder would seem to fit those specific requirements better....or have I missed something?..
If you go to buy something, the thing cost US$10, and then does it matter what you have are US$10 or $20, but you can't only have $9, is that right?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008

You can use 3-bits of the 4-bit BCD input to get a 3-bit to 8 output decoder. You just ignore the other input bit and the two extra outputs. So whether a 3 to 8 decoder is better depends upon your definition of "better". ;)