3 chip digital clock ?

Emuuu

Joined Dec 7, 2004
Hi I am Bob

I heard that you can build a digital clock with only 3 chips, how do you achieve that and what sort of accucary does it give and what sort of display does it use ?
Thanks alot. :lol:

Brandon

Joined Dec 14, 2004
Originally posted by Emuuu@Dec 7 2004, 11:57 AM
Hi I am Bob

I heard that you can build a digital clock with only 3 chips, how do you achieve that and what sort of accucary does it give and what sort of display does it use ?
Thanks alot. :lol:
[post=3999]Quoted post[/post]​
Actually, you can do it with just 2.
Microcontroller + LCD Controller Chip

You choose the level of information you want to display. You can usually purchase an LCD and its corresponding controller as a package. Your choice of micro should permit the use of an external crystal as a clock so your accuracy will be very tight.

It would be as accurate as you program it and as accurate as your main timing device. Crystals usually give very accurate timing.

Correction...

You can actually do this task in a single device, for example a single PIC (16F84) which you can program to keep the time and drive directly a 16x1 LCD.

I'am sure with enough thought you could include date, alarm settings, buzzer control for the alarm and perhaps even choice of a tunes to act as the alarm.

Where would we be without PIC's !!

cyberhehe

Joined Oct 6, 2004
Originally posted by spirit_viewer@Jan 11 2005, 06:54 PM
Correction...

You can actually do this task in a single device, for example a single PIC (16F84) which you can program to keep the time and drive directly a 16x1 LCD.

I'am sure with enough thought you could include date, alarm settings, buzzer control for the alarm and perhaps even choice of a tunes to act as the alarm.

Where would we be without PIC's !!
[post=4531]Quoted post[/post]​
You can do it with a single MCU with built in LCD driver and make use existing any existing glass out there as long as it supports the number of front planes (segments) and Backplanes (commons) the MCU is capable of. Can operate as low as 1.5V