2nd order low pass filter

The_Cook

Joined May 29, 2014
Could anyone help me find the transfer function of the 2nd order low pass filter and prove the variables are true as shown in the question?

Any help is appreciated

Attachments

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
If you don't know what s and unity gain are, how is it that you have a problem regarding transfer functions? The transfer function of a multi-pole filter is pretty advanced math, requiring an understanding of several layers of underlying concepts including complex algebra (imaginary numbers). I'm not criticizing you, just observing that you might be out of your depth.

ak

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Do you just write the transfer function in terms of the variables since they don't have any values given in the question or am I missing something?
No, you are not missing anything. For Part a you just write transfer function in terms of R1, R2, C1, C2, Ra, Rb. That is exactly what Part a asks you to do.

Jony130

Joined Feb 17, 2009
Do you just write the transfer function in terms of the variables since they don't have any values given in the question or am I missing something?
Yes, for example
(Vs - Va)/R1 = (Va - Vp)/R2 + (Va - Vout)*s*C1
(Va - Vp)/R2 = Va*s*C2
Vout = Vp * Av
Where Av = 1 + Rb/Ra

And you solve this for Vout/Vs

Attachments

The_Cook

Joined May 29, 2014
No, you are not missing anything. For Part a you just write transfer function in terms of R1, R2, C1, C2, Ra, Rb. That is exactly what Part a asks you to do.
The design given on the wikipedia article does not have Ra and Rb, would you happen to have an example similar to my design circuit

Yes, for example
(Vs - Va)/R1 = (Va - Vp)/R2 + (Va - Vout)*s*C1
(Va - Vp)/R2 = Va*s*C2
Vout = Vp * Av
Where Av = 1 + Rb/Ra

And you solve this for Vout/Vs
Found this example:

http://www.daycounter.com/Filters/SallenKeyLP/Sallen-Key-LP-Filter-Design-Equations.phtml

How would you factor in the Rb and Ra into that equation, which isn't in the example circuit but in my question