2KW high frequency transformer

Nultrilett

Joined Jan 23, 2012
Hi,

At Uni i am going to have a project where i'm going to design and build a high frequency 2 kw transformer.

The task is to make the transformer which goes into a system that transforms the electricity from a solar panel so that you can use it on a 230 V AC net, or charge batteries with the electricity from the panel.

My teacher is very busy, an could only tell me a little about it. the main line is that you have a solar panel that may produce 24 V dc (think it was the number he gave me), and then invert it to AC, then via the transformer transforme it up to like 400V AC and then invert it to DC again.

Anyone understand that?

I'm having trouble finding information about this, and can't find the right things to google, nor do i find any supplier who sells this stuff. Anyone who can ponit me in a direction to start? Would like to impress my teacher who thinks a girl can't do it..

-Marie

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Hi,

My teacher is very busy, an could only tell me a little about it.
That sounds like the problem. At least it will prepare you for working in the electronics inductry: my old boss used to think I was able to read his mind too. never enough time to think about what he actually wanted me to design and communicate that to me, always enough time to yell later when he didn't get what he wanted.

Get your teacher to help you understand the subject. Whether he wants to admit it or not, that's his job.

And FYI: I designed power converters for 30 years and I could not do this task with the information you have. You need specific specs like voltage, current, what the solar panels input voltage range will be, etc. Nobody can build something without knowing the full specs of what it has to do.

PaulEE

Joined Dec 23, 2011
Hi,

At Uni i am going to have a project where i'm going to design and build a high frequency 2 kw transformer.

The task is to make the transformer which goes into a system that transforms the electricity from a solar panel so that you can use it on a 230 V AC net, or charge batteries with the electricity from the panel.

My teacher is very busy, an could only tell me a little about it. the main line is that you have a solar panel that may produce 24 V dc (think it was the number he gave me), and then invert it to AC, then via the transformer transforme it up to like 400V AC and then invert it to DC again.

Anyone understand that?

I'm having trouble finding information about this, and can't find the right things to google, nor do i find any supplier who sells this stuff. Anyone who can ponit me in a direction to start? Would like to impress my teacher who thinks a girl can't do it..

-Marie
You have 24 VDC. You need 400 VAC. You then need to convert back to DC again.

Pseudo-design:

Somehow, drive low side of high power transformer with power MOSFET, IGBT, etc., with turns ratio such that 400 AC will appear at the output windings.

Next, use power semiconductors (rectifiers, HV caps, etc.) to rectify (either half-bridge or full-bridge) down to DC again.

The difficulty with your project (as described) is dealing with the higher voltages (and subsequent currents), along with the oscillation circuit at the initial 24 VDC end of things. This has to be robust. The transformer input terminals must be modeled correctly, and must be treated like the complex impedance that it is. You must pay attention to phases, all signal levels, component choice, max component values, back-EMF from the transformer coil, etc.

As described, it is doable, and in theory, it isn't too bad. Just be careful! :/