24v to 12v stator winding circuit problem

jonnyr48

Joined Jul 13, 2014
hi everybody, i bought an ex-forces diesel engine not realising that they only use 24 volt electrics. the stator was broken and so i repaired it and re-wound it, in the same way that it was already wired. i then realised that it most probably was 24 volt, as id already replaced the 24v starter and 24v heater plugs! (der!). what i need some kind expert to tell me is, which way should i swap the wires at the ends of the windings to definitely make it a 12 volt stator please? i apologise for the rubbish quality of my drawing, but hope it is clear enough to understand. also i didnt write "regulater", that was my czech girlfriend, which was a better attempt than i could make in czech!​

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Dobri Den,

Is this an alternator (on the engine) used as a charging system for a starting battery, or is it an alternator to make 50cyc AC?

If it is used for starting and engine operation, why convert it from 24V to 12V? Seems like you would have to change the alternator for a 12V automotive one, change the starter motor for a 12V automotive one, change the glow plugs, guages, controls, etc. etc.

jonnyr48

Joined Jul 13, 2014
ahoj mike,its used for starting and lights on a motorbike. i couldnt use the 24v starter in this application (it was a monster), and i already had a 12v starter for it, so i only had to change the glow plugs (which ive done) and the stator wiring - which is why i asked the question.
dekuji

jonnyr48

Joined Jul 13, 2014
i had to get a new one anyway, and have done so.hopefully you can see 2 photos of the stator as it now is, im not sure whether the drawing (or the photos!) have loaded or not. please let me know if they havent. can i just say that i have changed everything i need to, apart from the stator. am i on the right part of the board to ask my electrical query? please re-direct me if not.

Attachments