24V Electric motor with ESC, can it be controlled by a External Button Remote Control Motor Wireless Switch ?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Welcome to AAC.

What is this going to be attached to? The reversing function of the wireless remote will in the best case just not work and in the worst let out the magic smoke from the ESC.

One thing I would not do is connect a motor with sufficient power to injure someone to a wireless remote that, 10 operates at 433.92MHz, particularly if it does not use a rolling code or some other security measure to ensure unintended operation, and; 2) Can be used without being able to see what is being controlled.

I don't mean to be negative, but when motors can start unexpectedly mangled people bits are a real danger.

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
I wouldn't.

There is no way to meaningfully connect this switch to the ESC. There is no reverse function on the ESC, nor is there any speed control function on the switch, which is intended for fixed speed up/down or open/close operation with a limit switch, eg a gate or garage door.

The ESC will not take kindly to having its power switched on & off, and almost certainly revert to 0 speed after loss of power - without remote control of the analog throttle input there's no useful connection.

If the function you want is just to run the motor at its fixed speed On/Off & Fwd/Rev then use the switch on its own, you don't need the ESC.

SouthEastRay

Joined Nov 29, 2022
Hi Irving
Thank you so much for your help. My amateur instincts told me there might be a problem. The ordinary ESCs are quite sophisticated little beasts, I understand.
Your advice to run the motor just using the remote ESC is very helpful.

SouthEastRay

Joined Nov 29, 2022
Welcome to AAC.

What is this going to be attached to? The reversing function of the wireless remote will in the best case just not work and in the worst let out the magic smoke from the ESC.

One thing I would not do is connect a motor with sufficient power to injure someone to a wireless remote that, 10 operates at 433.92MHz, particularly if it does not use a rolling code or some other security measure to ensure unintended operation, and; 2) Can be used without being able to see what is being controlled.

I don't mean to be negative, but when motors can start unexpectedly mangled people bits are a real danger.
Hi Ya’akov
Thank you so much for your help. My amateur instincts told me there might be a problem. The ordinary ESCs are quite sophisticated little beasts, I understand.
Irving's advice to run the motor just using the remote ESC sounds most practical.

The intention is to control one of those Electric Cycle motors. In this case the motor is used for an industrial operation, and would have been closely supervised. Your safety advice is very welcome.

As it turns out, I made a decision to get a slightly more useful controller, without Remote abilities, but obviously the same rules apply.

I guess my biggest concern now, is whether the controller I now want to buy will be safe to use for my motor
EBikeConversion.pngwith
ReversabileSwitch.png

If you are able to provide an educated guess as to whether it will work, I would be very appreciative.