24v@1a?

Vasanthkini

Joined Jun 9, 2010
Any converters will have their output mentioned as a voltage level and also current like 24V @ 1A.How can we specifically say this?Does this no depend on the load resistance?Is this mentioned for full load condition?If thats the case,then what and how can "full load condition" be defined?Am not really clear about these concepts here..Thanks in advance

Thanks!:)

Jony130

Joined Feb 17, 2009
It's like standing next to a swimming pool with a glass of water. Water represents current and you represent the radio. You (the radio) can drink a glass of water (an amp of current) from either container, and no matter which one you choose to drink from, you are not going to drink the entire swimming pool and the swimming pool is not going to try to force you to drink it. You (the radio) only take as much as you need.

The first thing you need to know about electricity is, “Don't touch it with your fingers, it bites.”
The second thing you need to know is Ohm's Law.

http://www.electro-tech-online.com/content/222-amp-hour-fallacy-ohm-s-law-noobies.html

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Oh my, fond memories of Ratch. I hope this doesn't turn into a megathread.

Back to the OP: Can you provide a link to the converter you are concerned about? I think it is just a question of understanding what the ratings mean, and having a specific example to discuss will avoid the sort of endless dialog of that thread given by Jony130.

John

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Oh my, fond memories of Ratch. I hope this doesn't turn into a megathread.
I recall him, too. Fear not.

To the OP, that rating should be of the full load condition. The output will be 24 volts up to a current load of 1 amp. With more current than one amp drawn, the voltage will diminish.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Well depending on the protections built into the power supply, over 1a will either shut her down, droop on voltage, or smoke.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
who are the heck is Ratch :confused:
Just curious.

Same as the rest,

Back to the OP, It all depends on how well the supply is designed, we have to see it at least to comment