24v 10amp dc power supply?

z120129

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Would it be possible to make a power supply that could be switched for 12, 18, and 24 volts and provide a current around or over 10amps?

I know there are components like the lm317, but they are only able to supply 1.5amps.

Thanks

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

There are regulators with higher current.
There is the LT1085 for 3A,
the LT1084 for 5A,
and the LT1083 for 7.5 A.

If you want more current there are applications where 2 are set parallel in the datasheet.

Greetings,
Bertus

Attachments

z120129

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I guess maybe i should be more specific in the use, to get more tailored feedback;

I have a couple of cordless tools (drill, saw, sawzall) that run on a 18v battery pack. My packs are all dead, or don't hold a charge at all. Obviously, I could just go get a new battery (which i will soon), but in the meantime, I was thinking it would be cool to be able to directly plug in the tools and use them as corded power tools. So the unit i would build would essentially be a 'fake battery'.

That being said, huge heat sinks or fans would be a bit bulky (but could be accomodated for, if neccessary). I will plan on having an external transformer, but not built onto the unit - perhaps in line with the cord.

Thanks all who have responded; I will look into those options.