240vac to 12vdc

miskin

Joined Apr 3, 2009
i need a transformer to give me 240v ac to 12vdc it has to control a Maglock for a house door. Would it be possible to use a simple car battery charger i dont realy want rise voltage above 12vdc. How hard is it to build or adapt a charger. Or is it best to go to Maplins and get an off the shelf unit
:confused:

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
A transformer won't do this by itslef - you'll need a rectifier as well and possibly a voltage regulator.

A car battery charger puts out more than 12V.

If you have an interest in learning electronics, we will of course help you build or modify a device to your specific needs. Depending on your interest level and urgency, you might be happiest spending money on a pre-made unit.

b.shahvir

Joined Jan 6, 2009
i need a transformer to give me 240v ac to 12vdc it has to control a Maglock for a house door. Would it be possible to use a simple car battery charger i dont realy want rise voltage above 12vdc. How hard is it to build or adapt a charger. Or is it best to go to Maplins and get an off the shelf unit
:confused:
Not only the voltage but the current rating of the Xmer (amps sourced by it) should also match your desired application or else it could lead to abnormal conditions :eek: