240VAC to 12VDC recifier with >60A output

camjerlams

Joined Dec 23, 2012
Hi guys, my first post here. I am wanting to build or buy (whatever's cheapest) a filtered rectifier circuit that will do 240VAC (Australian line voltage) to 12VDC that can handle up to 60A output.

It will make a power supply for my car stereo which has 2 amps fuse protected at 30A each, (its running 2x12" subs and a couple of 6x9's).

The idea is I dont want this huge stereo in my car anymore and would like to convert it to a P.A or amp for an electronic drum kit and use it in my house.

What I need to know:

Either a rectifier model that would be suited to this application that I could buy say on ebay or a circuit diagram to guide me through creating my own.

Please give me some guidance, or any better ideas welcome!
I am an electrician so qualified to work on 240V and can follow circuit diagrams etc.

Thanks in advance,
your new mate Camjerlams!

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
You won't need 60A continuous, stereos only approach that kind of power for short peaks (if ever). I suspect a 12V supply rated for 10A continuous would run your stereo at any volumes up to the point where your ear drums will expire. Just put very large caps in the 12V lines near the amps to supply peaks for your subs.

I would buy one simply because you can get one cheaper than you can build one.

$16 delivered:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-10A-...435?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item4604affa33

Last edited:

camjerlams

Joined Dec 23, 2012
Perfect.
$16 thats cheeeep. Would a farad be ok for the caps? Or a farad for sub amp and something smaller for speaker amp?