240v switch wiring ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ross

Joined Jul 30, 2010
I have an isolation transformer 240v/110v and I want to put a switch and a led light to show power is on, is there any diagrams I could use to do this ? I'm not too keen on 240v and have always tried to avoid anything to do with that side of things coz I don't feel safe, so I dont have much experience with it but I will have a go if I know what I'm doing. I tried to upload a photo of the switch but it wont do it? The switch is DPDT with 6 solder tags and 12(4)A,250vAC, written on it.

Attachments

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I wonder if the thread will get locked on not.

Answer is simple. Get a neon bulb used in AC testers rated for ur mains voltage.
Connect it across the Tx primary or secondary ( it shud light at 110VAC )with the power disconnected.

This method is much safer and efficient than a LED or any low voltage bulb.

ross

Joined Jul 30, 2010
I asked for a suitable diagram for a switch not a lecture, If I don't feel comfortable with 240volts its because I don't have the required information to do it,hence I am asking for a diagram so that I do know what I'm doing.You don't learn from your mistakes with 240volts.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
If you have a switch that has 6 terminals, you will need to describe it better. It could be a 3 Pole, single throw or a 2 pole, double throw. What are the arrangements of the terminals with respect to the toggle. Google for pictures of each and let us know what you have. I have to assume you will be placing the transformer in a box and power it with a cord and plug, with a receptical for the 110 volt side.

ross

Joined Jul 30, 2010
Here is the photo I tried to upload on my first post.I mentioned it was DPDT then as well? Anyway here it is and thanks for taking the time to give me some help. OK I cant upload the photo it says that it is blocked? Ive tried 4 times.Ah! 5th time lucky.Ha!

Attachments

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
The spacing between the terminals seems to be a little confusing. Best to use an ohm meter to determine which terminal switches to which. Post a picture of the switch from the bottom showing the terminal numbers and what the meter readings are for each combination of terminals in each of the two switch positions.

ross

Joined Jul 30, 2010
The numbers are on the switch in the photo,2 & 3 make and 5 & 6 make,1 & 2 earth. So 2 & 3 switch on and 5 & 6 switch on, both at the same time.DPDT.

Attachments

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Good work checking the switch with a multimeter, what you have described looks to be a standard DPDT switch.

The switch current is labeled; 12(4)A. If I remember right, that means 240v 12A for a purely resistive load, but only 4 amps for a high inductive load (like a fridge motor etc).

I would wire it as a simple SPST switch, by using wire to join across the pins, ie join 2&5, and 3&6. That puts the two internal switches in parallel and will help with the spec.

Note the transformer shows a fuse rating of 6A T, which means a time blow fuse (slow blow fuse) rated at 240v 6A is needed for that transformer.

ross

Joined Jul 30, 2010
Here you are-get yourself a mains neon and wire it as shown -the resistor is an internal part of your neon so i havent given it a value.....
Thanks for the diagram,its exactly what I need. I don't understand what your saying with the neon light,do you mean that I would have to ask for a neon light that has an inbuilt resistor? I don't know why you people are so keen on neon bulbs when an LED will last for ever and in any color I choose.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
The numbers are on the switch in the photo,2 & 3 make and 5 & 6 make,1 & 2 earth. So 2 & 3 switch on and 5 & 6 switch on, both at the same time.DPDT.
If 1 & 2(think you meant 4 not 2) are always connected to each other for as you called them "earth", that makes this a DPST switch. If 1 & 2 and 5 & 6 are the only ones switching that make only one "throw".

The reason for a neon bulb is that LED,s only work at low voltage DC, not AC. And you'll never live long enough to burn out a neon bulb.

ross

Joined Jul 30, 2010
If 1 & 2(think you meant 4 not 2) are always connected to each other for as you called them "earth", that makes this a DPST switch. If 1 & 2 and 5 & 6 are the only ones switching that make only one "throw".

The reason for a neon bulb is that LED,s only work at low voltage DC, not AC. And you'll never live long enough to burn out a neon bulb.
I think you have got yourself confused on the switch,if you look at the switch you will see that it is made up of two switches stuck together,I'm going to solder a bridge across 1 to 4 and 2 to 5 to join both together then run the LED off one side and the power of the other as for an LED running on AC Im sure it can if not I will use a neon.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
You really need to review the Forum's Terms of Service I think you will find important information in section 6.

Specifically, I am thinking about this:

6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered "off-topic" at all times and will result in Your thread being closed without question:
  • Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.