240v split phase vs. single phase

JonHopper

Joined Jun 28, 2010
Hello Everyone.

I am attemping to wire a single phase 240v power supply unit.

The leads are as follows:

GND, L1 , N

Earth ground, Hot line 1, Neutral

This is telling me I need 240v (Actually 185 - 264v according to spec sheet) SINGLE-PHASE power.

I have been informed most 240v applications use two 120vac hot lines:

GND, L1, L2, N

or a combination, but must have the two separate hot lines (split phase) to give 240v.

My question now.... How can I wire my 240v single phase requirement PSU to a split phase dual hot line 240v supply?

I have L1 , L2, and N available to me. L1 and L2 are both 120vac hot lines.

Is my only option a step up transformer ?

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Where in the world are you located? This will significantly help in answering your questions....

This sounds like your device is rated for European standard mains, and you are trying to connect it to a US standard mains power.....

B. Morse

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Yes that is the case I believe. I am in Ontario Canada, the part is ordered from China.

Don't you use 220 VAC/ single Phase for your household power in Canada?

If so, you should be able to just connect L1 to line, then COM to neutral and Ground to ground....

If not, I believe (Don't quote me on this!) there is not a way for you to connect it to your house mains, since you do not have connections on the supply for separate phases of the 110/120 VAC.... You would have to have an L1 and L2 plus the com and ground inputs for it to work, which you don't.... so a transformer may be the way to go....

B. Morse

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Your N terminal on the device may not be suitably isolated from GND, so I would not advise connecting this to your source L2, which you would have to, to obtain the 240v. Personally, if the device is not CSA'd, I wouldn't be connecting it to anything.

Ghar

Joined Mar 8, 2010
Don't you use 220 VAC/ single Phase for your household power in Canada?

If so, you should be able to just connect L1 to line, then COM to neutral and Ground to ground....

If not, I believe (Don't quote me on this!) there is not a way for you to connect it to your house mains, since you do not have connections on the supply for separate phases of the 110/120 VAC.... You would have to have an L1 and L2 plus the com and ground inputs for it to work, which you don't.... so a transformer may be the way to go....

B. Morse
Canada uses 120 V for almost all outlets with 240 V (generated from opposite phases of the 120 V) for the clothes dryer and stove. Both are single phase.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Canada uses 120 V for almost all outlets with 240 V (generated from opposite phases of the 120 V) for the clothes dryer and stove. Both are single phase.

That is what I thought also (same as the US).... I should have know this anyway since we do ship a lot of our machines into Canada and they are only rated for 110VAC/Single phase...

B. Morse