240ac to 24v dc

narthnut

Joined Feb 8, 2011
Can anyone help?

I want to power a 24volt DC hydraulic pump using 240volt AC mains supply.

If there's a way of doing this and what would i need?

Thanks

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
First and foremost, a rather large transformer that will adequately deal with mains amperage at 240 volts, preferably with a center-tap secondary of 40 -0- 40 volts to allow some lattitue for a regulator. Possibly another sec. of 120v for other circuits

If I were building, at that power level, I would use a monolithic full-wave bridge rectifier, on a heatsink good for 100+ watts, with good air circulation, rated at least twice the amperage expected to be drawn by your pump.

From that point, filter and regulator components equal or superior to the task, as there are many different ways of wiring the whole thing up. For a pump motor, ripple on the DC end shouldn't be an issue

This can get as fancy as your imagination/skills allow, say with a second circuit built to fan-cool the rectifier. :rolleyes:

Others on the board know I lean towards overkill for component ratings, and since this is to power an hydraulic pump, it can be a rather demanding application based on required duty cycle............better too much than toasted

Good hunting !! :D And shame on me.......Welcome to AAC !!

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I want to power a 24volt DC hydraulic pump using 240volt AC mains supply.

If there's a way of doing this and what would i need?
This should be very do-able. You need to find out what the current and/or power ratings are for your pump, since this is what will directly impact the size and cost of your solution.

You may want to consider a switch-mode power supply, since these are much lighter and more efficient.