230 to 120 transformer help

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Ok guys here is what it was... My transformer was an autotransformer which is a single coil with a tap, basically an inductor. Since the only load I had on it was my meter the current had nowhere to go and it tripped. When I hooked one a light bulb and tested it worked. Moral of the story, if an autotransformer does not have a (big enough) load it will basically be a short and it won't work.
Sorry, but that is just not so. Autotransformers are not uncommon in motor circuits and perform very well.

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
Moral of the story, if an autotransformer does not have a (big enough) load it will basically be a short and it won't work.
No, the moral of the story is that bogus statements will be challenged on AAC. Even seasoned electron heads can make a mistake but no one here is immune to a rebuke. Consider this post one of those.

cmwilson7

Joined Apr 24, 2012
Would like to get my hands on the transformer. I still feel like it was an issue of the metal case (not the core of the transformer) around the transformer and the black wire were tied together inside the transformer for safety reasons. The transformer is intended for line to neutral applications and it is being used in a split phase scenario. The casing of the equipment was at neutral and the case of the transformer was at 115 V with respect to neutral.....they were touching on try #1 and the breaker cut loose. On try #2 with the light bulb, they were not touching and nothing happened. Again, I think that the OP should ditch the transformer and wire L-N. Just my two cents.