220v to 110v

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by 453, Oct 29, 2006.

  1. 453

    Thread Starter New Member

    Oct 29, 2006
    i have a device which is operating at 110Volts but i have power supply of 220Volts.
    i wanna operate that device at 220Volts and i have an idea (which i still havn't try) of placing a resistance equal to internal resistance of device in series with power rating of 110Volts
    if anyone of you have any other idea about this then tell me
  2. thingmaker3

    Retired Moderator

    May 16, 2005
    A transformer would be a better option. Several are commercially available to allow American razors and hair dryers to work from European power sources.

    The resistor would dissipate wasted energy as heat - using up an ammount identical to your device. Depending on how much power your device consumes, it could be difficult to find a suitably rated resistor. Example: If your device is a 500 watt hair dryer, then your resistor will need to be rated 4.5 ohms at 500 watts.
  3. Gadget

    Distinguished Member

    Jan 10, 2006
    A transformer.
    If it is a straight heating device, or a light, then "Chopping" the AC part way thru each cycle using a Triac and suitable driving circuitry may also work..(kinda like a light dimmer circuit). This is ONLY suitable for a purely heating or lighting circuit (like an iron, heater, lamp etc with NO electronic controls or motors).... ALL other appliances require a transformer.
  4. Jeffrey Jay

    New Member

    Nov 1, 2006
    I agree, You should use a transformer. This will give you a place to hook up your two hot wires and your 120 vac neutral. I can appreciate running at a higher voltage effectively cutting your amperage in half but most things like to run at designed voltages. -Jeff
  5. Gadget

    Distinguished Member

    Jan 10, 2006
    I'm assuming, that like me, where 453 lives 220 - 240 volts IS the normal voltage, and this 110 v device is some sorta foreign import.
  6. Silva


    Apr 25, 2007
    I think you are waisting your time, just get a step down transformer 220 to 110 with the at least about the same wattage as the equipment, and you'll be more safe on your equipment,.Myself i'm from europe and brought a keyboard musical instrument to USA that run on 220v so i had a transformer 220v 110, and just reversed the input to the output and i got myself a good set up, insteaded of trying to change the transformer inside the equipment.