220v & ground settings

chivo

Joined Apr 30, 2010
i got three tanning beds. the first one i pluged in worked,all the bulbs and fans. so i put it together so my wife could tan,when i opened the lid it shut off. now most the tim the fans work if you open and close lid enough.
i suppose its a bad ground or connection of some sort.first of alli dont know what setting to use inorder to test ground, or what indacates good or bad.second im not sure what setting to put my meter on to test 220v......somebody help

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
It's probably a bad switch somewhere. Recreational metering for line voltages is never a good idea, though.

The manufacturer should have a web presence, and that can be a way to get a wiring diagram. With that in hand, you can check for proper operation with the tanning bed unplugged, just by reading for continuity on the ohms setting.

If you can expose the wiring, it's also not too hard to follow the current path, but that is another exercise best done with the bed unplugged.

The tanning bed fusing is not enough to protect you from a fatal shock. Take no chances.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
beds typically have a sail switch that detects the fan running, before it will allow the lamps to start.

there are a few sites that provide manuals/troubleshooting for the various beds.

Maybe you should have bought her a Mystic Tan. I hear they are going cheap these days.