220 volt single phase run and start 6.5hp motor won't start

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
I do not think a 6.5KW generator will supply enough current to start a 6.5 HP motor. It would be right on the limit when the motor was providing its full power output. The motor would probably require at least 5 times the running current to start it.

Les

Tomstr

Joined Jun 20, 2017
I do not think a 6.5KW generator will supply enough current to start a 6.5 HP motor. It would be right on the limit when the motor was providing its full power output. The motor would probably require at least 5 times the running current to start it.

Les
Well that explains why the power loss? Do you think my start and run caps are wired correctly?

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
I think think your start an run capacitors are connected correctly. I would have expected the resistance reading between yellow and blue wires to be almost zero ohms. If this had been the case then the motor would have been wired in the same way as all the capacitor start capacitor run motors thet I have seen before. The main winding is connected directly across the mains. The auxiliary winding is series with the run capacitor (The lower value capacitor.) is connacted across the mains. Thhe start capacitor is connected in parallel with the run capacitor via the centrifugal switch until the motor up to near it's opperating speed.

Les.

Tomstr

Joined Jun 20, 2017
I think think your start an run capacitors are connected correctly. I would have expected the resistance reading between yellow and blue wires to be almost zero ohms. If this had been the case then the motor would have been wired in the same way as all the capacitor start capacitor run motors thet I have seen before. The main winding is connected directly across the mains. The auxiliary winding is series with the run capacitor (The lower value capacitor.) is connacted across the mains. Thhe start capacitor is connected in parallel with the run capacitor via the centrifugal switch until the motor up to near it's opperating speed.

Les.
Out of sheer frustration and wondering I plugged in the motor in the wall outlet at home it's sparked like there's a short in the wall plug ..so I unplugged it very quickly I don't know what the problem could be if the wiring and everything was right then it shouldn't of done that is Sounds it has got a short somewhere I don't know what would cause that though