220 dc to 220 ac

farm boy

Joined Mar 24, 2009
I have a HUGE battery stack, old Telkom stuf, I charge them with a Lister diesel genni. I currently use a 1700w inverter to convert 48v dc to 220 ac,
If I stack the Batteries to pour out 220 dc, is there a way to get higher wattages this way by switching the dc to give ac? am I making sense?:confused:

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Watts are the product of volts times amps. AC volts RMS times AC current RMS are the exact equivalent to the same measurement made with DC volts and current.

Any conversion (inverter or motor - generator) will lose energy due to inefficiency.

What is the application?

farm boy

Joined Mar 24, 2009
Sorry, I don't think I'm getting across. My inverter is to light in the pants. I have the batteries to give me 220v dc at a rate of litteraly hundreds of amps, just need the 220 dc to be ac, ? switching ?50Hz transistor,triac?

farm boy

Joined Mar 24, 2009
trying to bypass the inverter in favour of dc switching, guess I want to know if I have a 555 timer doing the timing for a Switching device(circuit), what would I use to switch the 220vdc, that could handle the kind Kw I'll be dealing with, would that be possable, even more expensive than stacking inverters?

farm boy

Joined Mar 24, 2009
Sorry one of my posts got lost in a sever reset. I opperater lathes,milling machines, grinders, for short bursts, and sporadicaly,Normally I start the genni. The genni runs 3hours a day anyway to boost batteries,pump water and to run the fridges.

farm boy

Joined Mar 24, 2009
Sorry one of my posts got lost in a sever reset. I opperater lathes,milling machines, grinders, for short bursts, and sporadicaly,Normally I start the genni. The genni runs 3hours a day anyway to boost batteries,pump water and to run the fridges.

farm boy

Joined Mar 24, 2009
Can think of another way to possably attempt it. stackthe batteries in 48v stacks and use Irfba 1405p-nd (55v 170A n-channel mosfets) with a sincronised switching circuit(555)?