2010 Camaro Afterburners project, help needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkneSS

Joined May 19, 2011
Hey guys Im new here and working on a project that has officially fallen out of my limited electric wiring knowledge.

In short, what I am trying to do is make it so when I press the gas pedal on my car, a set of leds mounted next to each exhaust pipe hole on the rear diffuser, will get brighter with more throttle.

The car I am working on is a 2010 camaro, it has an electronic throttle control system.

From the gas pedal there is a purple wire that sends the throttle input to the cars ECM.

How can I tap into this signal and use it to control the amount of voltage being delivered to my leds?

The desired effect is this, at idle with no throttle input you can see these orange leds I have already wired up to my license plate lights. When more throttle is applied a second set of orange leds will get brighter depending on the input. This will make the car look like it has afterburners.

Thank you for any help!

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Please see the Terms of Service (links to the TOS are at the bottom of every page), section 6, which reads:
6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered "off-topic" at all times and will result in your thread being closed without question:
  • Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
    [*]Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
Since your project is installed in an automotive environment, your topic will be closed when a Moderator sees it.

Sorry, but rules are rules - and the rules are not open to debate/discussion.

There is a partial list of other sites where you might get support for your project on this thread:
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=54400

However, your planned "afterburner" lights may violate city, state or federal laws - so even though it might seem like a "fun" project, it could wind up costing you a lot of money in fines.

Making modifications (tapping in) to your engine control systems is not legal in the US.

DarkneSS

Joined May 19, 2011
Alright well if anyone reads this and can help, please email me at <snip>

Id MORE than appreciate it and be much willing to donate to you for your time.

However, your planned "afterburner" lights may violate city, state or federal laws - so even though it might seem like a "fun" project, it could wind up costing you a lot of money in fines.

Making modifications (tapping in) to your engine control systems is not legal in the US.
It may violate some laws but I doubt it, I can always make it for off road use anywa..

In correct on the engine control systems. You can do a plethora of things legally to your car's computer. Hence why thousands of shops tune cars completely legally, not sure where you got that incorrect data.

Last edited by a moderator:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I'm a little surprised by this, but not surprised, if you get my drift.

I presume this was driven by emissions issues? I thought lots of folks were hacking around in these to modify the parameters. Is that all being done illegally?

DarkneSS

Joined May 19, 2011
I'm a little surprised by this, but not surprised, if you get my drift.

I presume this was driven by emissions issues? I thought lots of folks were hacking around in these to modify the parameters. Is that all being done illegally?
He is incorrect, you may modify your car's computer in any manner you wish.

DarkneSS

Joined May 19, 2011
And even though you guys are going to close the thread can you at least give me the honor of just telling me if this is even possible?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I'm sorry, but we cannot discuss automotive modifications on these forums.

If I were to do so, I would risk being banned from the site, which I don't want to happen.

I simply follow the rules, and keep my keister out of hot water with the Moderators.

I suggest that you remove your E-mail address from your prior post, as otherwise "spam-bots" will pick it up and send you lots of junk E-mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.