200 petawatt laser

soundman

Joined Dec 27, 2010
Apart from the space-time discussion, the production of 200 petawatts, even for fracton of a nanosecond, makes me wonder about the power supply layout.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Apart from the space-time discussion, the production of 200 petawatts, even for fracton of a nanosecond, makes me wonder about the power supply layout.
That was the first thing to cross my mind.. But further inspection shows that it equates to 3000 joules.

But still, 3000j being dumped at those speeds... It would be interesting to have a look at.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
That was the first thing to cross my mind.. But further inspection shows that it equates to 3000 joules.

But still, 3000j being dumped at those speeds... It would be interesting to have a look at.
Maybe if you had GIANT plate capacitors, and they were superconducting, and one molecule thin...

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
The fourth ELI laser is scheduled to start ripping up the fabric of the universe in 2017, and no, nothing could possibly go wrong, why do you ask?
The null results of the SETI program are now clear. Whenever a species becomes intelligent enough to develop technology, it self-terminates by inventing a 200 petaWatt laser.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
and I predict some very confused scientists...

I mean what can a pulsed lazer do in outer space, besides go on forever. Which by the way, we have no idea abt what so ever.

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
and I predict some very confused scientists...

I mean what can a pulsed lazer do in outer space, besides go on forever. Which by the way, we have no idea abt what so ever.
For all we know, shining a 200 petaWatt laser into outer space is the accepted intergalactic distress signal, and we'll have a hundred alien species coming over to try and help us. :p

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
For all we know, shining a 200 petaWatt laser into outer space is the accepted intergalactic distress signal, and we'll have a hundred alien species coming over to try and help us. :p
For the sake of argument.

What if that Powerful flash thingy caused a planet to decimate, if by chance it was aimed at a distance planet that by chance is like in the movies watching us to break the warp speed and talk to us, instead they come here finding revenge for we blow up on of there sister planets by chance again, just messing with things we dunno. :D

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
For the sake of argument.

What if that Powerful flash thingy caused a planet to decimate, if by chance it was aimed at a distance planet that by chance is like in the movies watching us to break the warp speed and talk to us, instead they come here finding revenge for we blow up on of there sister planets by chance again, just messing with things we dunno. :D
Hey, to start trouble, ... we might only need to blind a stargazing alien. What if he turned out to be the heir and son of their world leader? Wars have started over less. :p

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Murphy's Law says:

It will strike a cold water/ice comet in the Oort cloud, thereby causing a burst of steam, which pushes the comet out of its orbit. 93 years from now a new comet is seen in the sky. One week later it impacts in the Pacific Ocean. 63 millions years later the intellectually advanced descendants of racoons are fiddling around with a 200 PetaWatt Laser......

:)