20 LED project (1.9 - 2.4 in) - is my math wrong

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Radio Shack also has a wide assortment of battery holders in all sizes (AAA, AA, 9V). The option is open all ways.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Radio Shack stores stock a couple of 8-AA battery holders that you connect to with one of the 9-v snap clips. They also stock the snap-clips.

aerogal

Joined Jan 24, 2011
ROCKIN OUT WITH THE PROJECT!

So it entirely worked. Hooked up the ENTIRE thing. Course no one ever CLARIFIED the plus/minus aspect wrt the resistors, etc., (told you I was a major dummy with this stuff) but figured it out with my "Intro to Electronics Book"... Yeah! But will say that without your help this would not have worked. The top ideas:
1. 3 LEDs per chain
2. 150 ohm resistors (per chain)
3. 9 v. power supply.

Hooked it together, flipped the switch, ALL lights turned on, I'm freakin amazed. Will upload a photo if I can figure that out.

Thx again. Sharon

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Excellent.

If you can take a digital photo you can upload it as an attachment. In this case smaller is probably better.

Click <Go Advanced> shown below the post.
Click <Manage Attachments>
Find where you stored the picture file,
Upload it.
Save post.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The 9v will start dimming almost immediately and won't last nearly as long. Maybe if you use rechargables and keep several handy.
Some "9V" rechargeable batteries are actually only 7.2V because they have six 1.2V cells.
The older ones (still being sold) have a capacity of only 150mAh. 9V alkaline cells have a capacity of 625mAh when the moon is purple (very low current)and is about 500mAh normally when the current 100mA and the voltage has dropped to 6.0V.

aerogal

Joined Jan 24, 2011
Here are some photos. Hope this works as I have not set up an on-line photo album before
.http://cid-3f1cd91072546563.photos.live.com/self.aspx/LED Duck/DSCN1512.jpg

http://cid-3f1cd91072546563.photos.live.com/self.aspx/LED Duck/DSCN1513.jpg

One is a photo of the lit duck and the other is the back (wiring). If you look closely, you can see the resistors (to the right). We used connectors. Entire project (not including design, education, etc.) - just assembly, wire stripping, etc. took about 4 hours. Flipped the switch and like magic... Thx again guys!