2-switch forward converter - what is role of primary inductance?

silkyre6xtenz

Joined Jan 8, 2018
Hello!
Why is the inductance of primary winding is an essential parameter of pulse transformer used in 2-switch forward converter?
I think its role is connected with magnetizing current somehow, but i am not sure about this.
And - magnetizing current must have a value like 10% of overall primary current or its value must be chosen because of some factors? Which value of magnetizing current is optimal and how is it connected with primary inductance?
Help me please, i dont understand this.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The primary inductance along with the input voltage and frequency is what determines the value of the magnetizing current.
You want the current at a low enough level to keep the core from saturating.
In power transformers the magnetizing current is typically kept just below the point of core saturation.

10% is just an arbitrary value for the magnetizing current that is often a compromise to give a moderate magnetizing current for a minimum transformer core size.
Ideally you want the magnetizing current as low as feasible.

arunpradh

Joined Dec 11, 2013
Hello!
Why is the inductance of primary winding is an essential parameter of pulse transformer used in 2-switch forward converter?
I think its role is connected with magnetizing current somehow, but i am not sure about this.
And - magnetizing current must have a value like 10% of overall primary current or its value must be chosen because of some factors? Which value of magnetizing current is optimal and how is it connected with primary inductance?
Help me please, i dont understand this.
are you designing a powersupply or inverter dc to dc converter ?