2 sources into one aux complications.

antichrome

Joined Oct 4, 2013
Hello everyone, first post here. In my vehicle, I have a radar detector that has a mono line out. I also use my phone for music in the car and was able to combine the 2 sources with a non powered mixer/splitter. This works fine, but when I am charging the phone at the same time, I lose audio from the radar detector. I don't get chimes but rather bassy thumps.through the speakers. I was told that I would need an audio output transformer so I picked one up at radio shack. Part number 273-1380. I really have no idea how to hook this thing up. I'm a novice at soldering but am handy enough. Anyone have any input for me? It would be really nice to have both sources combined while charging the phone. Thanks guys

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Show a drawing of the original mixer circuit so we can try to figure out what went wrong and maybe even some of the characteristics of the phone.

antichrome

Joined Oct 4, 2013
Show a drawing of the original mixer circuit so we can try to figure out what went wrong and maybe even some of the characteristics of the phone.
The mixer I'm using is really not quite a mixer. It's Made by Belkin, I think it's called rock star, it's basically a male 3.5mm cable with a hub of 5 female headphone plugs. It's marketed as a splitter/mixer as it shows two iPods or mp3 players hooked up together. The phone is a Samsung galaxy s3

don't radar detectors have their own speakers?
It does but my stereo is pretty loud so when the music music is up I can't hear it