2 or more graphics cards?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
If I istall second or third graphics card in my computer on the PCI bus.
Then will both of them work at the same time?

Like if I plug in 2 monitors one on the first graphics card and another on the second graphics card will they both display the computer scree image.

I understand on my graphics card they both have an exta VGA port for an addtional second monitor. But I was wondering if I could get the same effect by using another graphics card in my computer as well?

Or maybe you can only use one graphics card at a time in your computer?
I know sound cards you can have as many as you want and they can all function seperaely on the PCI bus. Maybe it is different for graphics cards?

Any input /help in clearing up this question would be great.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
If I istall second or third graphics card in my computer on the PCI bus.
Then will both of them work at the same time?
Yes and No

Some graphics cards have the ability to supply the same signal to multiple monitor outputs - as in laptops.

Some graphics cards have the ability to spread the whole picture over more than one monitor, and Windows supports this. Some of these actually have the VGA output on the metal bracket, some have a header socket on the pc board to accept a cable to a second bracket with the extra VGA output.

To get two or more cards to supply different pictures requires additional software, and compatible cards.
Some cards designed for video editing or CAD do this and are supplied with the necessary software.

Another approach is used to generate on-stage large screen pictures from multiple graphics systems. Again this requires additional software and circuitry (and computers) to assemble the final picture.

A similar approach is used within one computer to use two cards to crreate a single picture. Each card handles half the picture, either top and botom or alternate lines in the raster, and the individual outputs are combined and output to a single VGA through the bus. But only certain motherboards and cards support this, again the necessary software comes with the cards.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
As long as your OS supports multi-Displays then yes it will work regardless of what the graphics card is..... I have 2 in one of my PC's with 4 Monitors connected to it (Both vid cards has analog and VGA connections), and I use 2 for my desktop and the other 2 as my extended deskop......

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
As long as your OS supports multi-Displays then yes it will work regardless of what the graphics card is..... I have 2 in one of my PC's with 4 Monitors connected to it (Both vid cards has analog and VGA connections), and I use 2 for my desktop and the other 2 as my extended deskop......
I guess the question is what OS's support multi-Display.
I am assuming for Windows XP , and on word .... ???
But maybe windows 95 , 98, Me, 2000 ,....???

And would most linux distro's support this ?

As such both my graphics cards have an extra VGA on it to display to a second monitor the image.

But I am more looking to install 2 graphics cards so I can drag one image to a second monitor and visa-versa. Like dragging the windows explorer application over to a second monitor and away from the first. (i.e having to seperate images for 2 seperate monitors ,...etc when you use the second VGA port on a single graphics card it just displays the same image don't want that!)

On my XP machine under the Display properties > settings tab > advance option it looks like you can do it with this OS?
Curious to know how far back the windows os's go for supporting multi-Display?