2 Operating System

allied

Joined Mar 11, 2007
We have a computer w/ Xp home edition in our office. We cannot install a new cd software bec. its requires a xp professional. Were plan to install a new OS XP professional. I heard that its possible to have 2 O.S in a single computer. Can only help me to do that Im not good in computers but if I have a procedure how to install it I can able to do that. Thanks

Allied

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
It depends on what the other OS you are planning to install. If you are going for a Linux Distro, then the installation disk will have the relevant tools to allow you to install Linux along side Windows - just follow the on screen instructions since each distro is different. Since most Linux distros are designed to be installed along side Windows, the procedure is very simple and straightforward. Just make sure you have all your files backed-up in the event something does go wrong.

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
thanks...How about the XP professional? How can we install it...

Allied
Use the Windows XP Professional installation CDs. I assume you have the XP Professional CD? If not, you will need to get in touch with Microsoft and either upgrade your existing XP Home licence (at a cost, and given Vista is the new Windows standard you may struggle to get XP - I don't know), or if you already own an XP Professional licence get them to send you a replacement installation CD.

Then Google "install Windows XP" and you will find hundreds of step-by-step tutorials on how to install it. It is a long time since I did a reinstall but remember it being quite straight forward, particularly compared to previous versions of Windows.

Dave

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
I have done it recently - it's just a matter of following directions on the display. Your old files will siurvive unaltered. BUt you'll still need to hit the Microsoft site for updates.

If your XP Pro is early, it's three updates on the updating software, 68 critical updates, and finally, SP2. After that, four more updates to the updating software, and 38 critical updates. Plus IE7 may be back on the list this week. It was off week before last.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I have done it recently - it's just a matter of following directions on the display. Your old files will siurvive unaltered. BUt you'll still need to hit the Microsoft site for updates.
I seem to remember it was a "following" exercise.

If your XP Pro is early, it's three updates on the updating software, 68 critical updates, and finally, SP2. After that, four more updates to the updating software, and 38 critical updates. Plus IE7 may be back on the list this week. It was off week before last.
Bulky stuff, I'm glad that I have been doing it incrementally over time on my PCs at home and work. Luckily, if you get your version of XP Professional from MS, the de-facto version includes SP2 which is the largest and most important of the patches/updates.

Dave

I think u'll need to make a partition for the new OS in ur hard disk. There are softwares that makes it easy to mange ur hard disk. For example Magic Partition 8.0, which has the an option if u wanna to set up another OS in the smae machine ! Thaen all what u will need is just follwoing the WIZARD !

^_^

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
i have installed two os on diff disk drives and they worked fine
though ididnt keep them both for much time.
all you need is bootable cd and choose a diff drive for installation of the os
since on same drive conflicts can occur (or that is what i believe).
googling is still a good option.
so on booting you will be asked to choose the os.

Salgat

Joined Dec 23, 2006
I have not worked with installing 2 Windows on the same computer, but if you do install XP Pro and XP Home is not provided as an option to boot anymore, look into GRUB, its a boot loader manager(the best out there, and free). This is only if you haven't formatted your old XP home partition.