2 MOSFETs in series

Nano001

Joined Jan 12, 2010
Hi I have a simple question. Why is it that 2 MOSFETs in series are used as a current source instead of 1? For example in a differential amplifier, or in a cascode current mirror. What is the advantage of using 2 over just a single one? Thank you.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
Please provide an example circuit, contrary to popular belief we can't read minds nor guestimate unless we know what we're looking at.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Hi I have a simple question. Why is it that 2 MOSFETs in series are used as a current source instead of 1? For example in a differential amplifier, or in a cascode current mirror. What is the advantage of using 2 over just a single one? Thank you.
One transistor is set up for properties such as high input impedance, but little gain, while the second is set up for high gain and lower output impedance.

In a current mirror, one transistor is biased to always carry a certain current, which biases the second transistor properly to process outside signals.

Check out This Section of the e-book that explains the properties of common emitter, common base, and common collector circuits. The MOSFET equivalents have similar properties and reasons for use.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
I dunno.... we are better at mind reading then most sites...

It is just EXHAUSTING! ;)
I'll agree, there are a lot of people here that go far out of their way to help on a valid question. Some of them stump even the best, others are so simple I don't even bother responding as I'm hoping some of the younger, less experienced people will take it to their heart to try and research the answers as they often end up learning something that way too.

Of course I've got a lot of holes in my education so, as with anyone, I may not have a clue. I occasionally give the wrong answer as well but everyone's rather quick at correcting my mistakes so I learn from that.

Nano001

Joined Jan 12, 2010
I ttached 2 pictures of what I am talking about. The first is a differential amplifier. I am curious why 2 MOSFETs are needed instead of 1 (the 20/2 FETs) and what the effect of 2 separate biasing voltages for them are.

Also, I attached a picture of a cascode current mirror. I understand what a current mirror does, however I don't understand the advantage of the cascode, and how the current flows through the right two MOSFETs in series. Iref flows through the left 2 MOSFETs, and if the transistors sizes match, Io=Iref. What is the advatange of cascode, I saw the link gizmomano posted, however it is still a bit unclear. I just need a simple explanation to clarify. Thanks very much.

Attachments

Nano001

Joined Jan 12, 2010
Ok, I was reading and I found out that the cascode current mirror is used to increase the output resistance so the current becomes relatively independent of the output load. However, I still don't understand the application of the diff amplifier that I posted, and what the biasing on the separate MOSFETs does.