2 LED arrays one power source

Tfa

Joined Nov 6, 2012
I am looking to make 2 5 led arrays and connect them to one power source. The arrays will be 5 LEDs each (I will also need help with the resistor selection) and 5v power supply. I would like to have an array at the bottom of the project and an arrays at the top bit powered from the one source. Is this possible? Tips would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I am looking to make 2 5 led arrays and connect them to one power source. The arrays will be 5 LEDs each (I will also need help with the resistor selection) and 5v power supply. I would like to have an array at the bottom of the project and an arrays at the top bit powered from the one source. Is this possible? Tips would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
With a 5V power supply, it is unlikely that you will be able to get more than one or two LEDs to share a resistor. The questions that you have to answer first are: what color LEDs are you using, what is the voltage drop across each color, and what current will be run through each LED? In addition, what is the current capability of your 5V power supply?

Tfa

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Thanks I know I can run 10 LEDs (3.2, 20ma) with 10 100 ohm resistors wired in parallel off of the 5v supply.
Can this be spilt? Any suggestions on how else this could be accomplished?

Thanks again for the help

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Thanks I know I can run 10 LEDs (3.2, 20ma) with 10 100 ohm resistors wired in parallel off of the 5v supply.
Can this be spilt? Any suggestions on how else this could be accomplished?

Thanks again for the help
No. With a 5V power supply and 3.2V LEDs, that is the only way to arrange them: 1 resistor per LED. If the specifications are precise, you are running the LEDs at 18 mA, and each resistor is dissipating 32.4 mW, and each LED is using 57.6 mW.