1kV linear regulated power supply

Kronecker Delta

Joined Feb 5, 2012
Hello,
i am planning to design a 0-1000V adjustable power supply with linear regulator. and here are desired specs:
- floating output
- sink and source current (5mA max)
- external voltage(0-10V) or potentiometer programming
- short circuit protection (shorted for a long time)
- voltage monitor (0-10V)
- low ripple (<1mV)
- temperature compensated (<20ppm)

i hear you say "go and buy a high quality brand PSU" ha? but the current needed is very small, may be it makes a simpler design possible. i considered to making with MC1466L regulator, but it's hard to find and very old IC. and also tried with classic linear regulator design(with error amp and HV BJTs) but can not reach 1kV. there are some HV opamps lile Apex PA series but they are very expensive(around 200$). can you suggest any idea/circuit/topology/component for this purpose?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I used an LM723 chip and a 1000 volt MOSFET to make a 900 volt supply. Is it that last 100 volts that has you stopped?

Kronecker Delta

Joined Feb 5, 2012
I used an LM723 chip and a 1000 volt MOSFET to make a 900 volt supply. Is it that last 100 volts that has you stopped?
No, 900V is good for me. but is it suitable to programming with external voltage and adjusting output from 0-900V? at least 2-900V is ok! and is it capable to sink and source current?
i'll be very glad if you send the circuit which you've used. can you give information about it's performance? ie. load regulation, ripple, temperature dependence etc.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
If I told you figure 21 plus figure 22, would that get you started?

It's just such a PIB to get my scanner to provide good contrast on a pencil drawing!
I have to do the whole drawing over with a Sharpie pen.

Attachments

Kronecker Delta

Joined Feb 5, 2012
If I told you figure 21 plus figure 22, would that get you started?
i can just imagine how its works, but not sure exactly. i dont want to bother you with a pen. isis, ltspice, eagle or other tools are acceptable for me:) i'd appreciate if you can do this

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Here is the way to do it.
The trick to this is that the entire regulator circuit floats on the output voltage.
I didn't use a 723 chip because the need for a negative supply voltage wrecks the usefulness of the internal voltage reference. Any bipolar opamp will work. Any common npn transistor will work for the 50 ma constant current mode controller. All the part numbers are from mouser.com. You need a heat sink for the MOSFET. You have to use (3) 1/2 watt resistors in series in order to survive the maximum voltage. You must have a load of 1/2 ma minimum to drain the leakage from the MOSFET. For example, 200K will keep the output below 100 volts during the worst case leakage, but it too must be rated for at least 1000 volts.

Attachments

Last edited: