1953 "Digital" Jukebox Wallbox

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Do you think you could write that programming?
I might have a go at it, with the following conditions:
I only do the software, you would have to build the rest of the circuit.
It doesn't grow in complexity much more than the basic functionality of some buttons to press to select a track.
I keep ownership of the code.
Reimbursement for microcontrollers I send and postage by paypal.
It might take a while, I'm a slow programmer.
No guarantee, without access to the jukebox it's going to be tricky to work out any problems.

It's a big list, I know, but it's several hours of programming.

kc5tpa

Joined Sep 21, 2012
Rather than trying to emulate the wall unit, I would try to determine what you need to do to select a song in the HF100G. That may be no more than just closing a relay contact across the push-button selection push-buttons. That can be readily done from a remote keyboard and a circuit or microprocessor to convert the key to BCD code (such as this) which is sent to the jukebox. The BCD code is then decoded to close the contact across the desired pushbutton.
I said this in another post a little different, but pretty much the same:
This would be a little bit more difficult to accomplish since the unit uses contacts, soleniods, and latches, not relays per se, for song selection. The selector assembly (pinbank), and electrical selector (keyboard) of the jukebox are amazing designs for song selection, however, these are separate from the WSR which would control (decode) the output for the device for which I seek to create.

kc5tpa

Joined Sep 21, 2012
Yep, I'm already a member there, and have asked the same question and have received little fanfair over there.
I think I may have figured it out, it's going to be hard to explain though. I now think a microprocessor is necessary, there doesn't seem to be any other way.
Just looking at the first diagram:
I'm going to call the contacts on the outside edge of the disk X1-X21 counting clockwise from where the spinning contact starts (the big arrow from the centre point). There is a bit of a gap and then Y1-Y5. There is also the shorting strip which goes from X11-X21.

Nothing happens until number and letter buttons are pressed

If button 10 is pressed there will be 10 pulses, X1-X10
If button 5 is pressed there will be 5 pulses, X6-X10
If button 1 is pressed there will be 1 pulse, X10

The letter buttons are trickier.
If A,C,E,G or J are pressed the shorting bar is grounded so X11-X21 is one long pulse
If B,D,F,H or K are pressed, that doesn't happen and there are 11 short pulses instead (X11-X21).
The Y1 pulse always happens.
If A or B is pressed there are no pulses after Y1
If C or D are pressed there is a Y2 pulse
If E or F are pressed there are Y2 and Y3 pulses
If G or H are pressed there are Y2, Y3 and Y4 pulses
If J or K are pressed there are Y2, Y3, Y4 and Y5 pulses

(There is no I).

I could be very wrong.
Thinking about this more, you are on a very close, if not right track.

I'm hoping this description helps. On the pinbank of the jukebox which dictates the mechanism to scan and ‘search’ for the record to play; there are 100 pins (100 songs), oriented in 2 rows of 50. There is one row of 50 in front of the other. There are 5 groups of 20 from left to right in the pinbank. So you have 10 front, and 10 rear pins in each group. You have one circuit (wire) for each of the 10 pins running through all 5 groups front and back that tie to one side of an electromagnetic selector coil. There is 1 circuit (wire) to each group electromagnet to complete the other side of the circuit for the electromagnetic selector coil, which energizes and moves the pin to close the scan circuit which causes the mech to move and ‘search’ for the pin (to play the record.)

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I said this in another post a little different, but pretty much the same:
This would be a little bit more difficult to accomplish since the unit uses contacts, soleniods, and latches, not relays per se, for song selection. The selector assembly (pinbank), and electrical selector (keyboard) of the jukebox are amazing designs for song selection, however, these are separate from the WSR which would control (decode) the output for the device for which I seek to create.
I understand. All I was saying is that you would just need to close a contact across (in parallel with) the selected PB switch on the jukebox to emulate the pressing of that particular switch, which doesn't require any special timing, just the simple static circuits I suggested. Then you wouldn't need to worry about all the rest, the inner workings of the jukebox will process the contact closure the same as if you physically pushed the button. :)

But I understand if you want keep the innerds of the jukebox unaltered and don't want to add any internal wiring.

Last edited:

kc5tpa

Joined Sep 21, 2012
With the help of Markd77 we've made huge strides in the successful completion of this project. This guy is good!

kc5tpa

Joined Sep 21, 2012
That video is private.
Could you not view it? I have it private until I hear from UMG about the song that is played. If I can't get permission from UMG I'll have to use something else for audio, which will make it hard to show that it works.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
No, can't see it.
Is there a way to cut the video just before the record starts playing? Still get to hear the relay clicking and see the juke box in motion.
I wouldn't put it past youtube to check private videos for copyright.