VCR Sony SLV N60 help

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Hi folks is there any experts on old VCR; i have an old VCR Sony SLV N60 and I'm trying to use the vcr as a RF converter to send video from a streaming box via HDMI to an HDMI to RCA converter to RF coaxial to the hole Apt ,i was able to make the set up and connection ,i connected RCA cables to VCR input line 1 but in order to see video from the streaming box i have to put a tape in the vcr and press play and i can stop play and video stays on. I have to do this process every time i turn on VCR .Any clues why? thanks

Hymie

Joined Mar 30, 2018
The normal domestic setup for a VCR was to feed the aerial rf signal through the unit to the TV rf input (allowing viewing and recording of broadcast programmes with the VCR in line), with rf channel 34 being the default value for the VCR play output. So there was no need to connect the RCA line outs. Many TVs did not have RCA inputs, as domestic users did not have an RCA video source before VCRs came along.

With the VCR in standby/off mode, only the rf signal feed-through would be on. The VCR model you have maybe configured such that the RCA line outs are only energised when a tape is installed, which might be a common arrangement given the normal VCR setup.

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
The normal domestic setup for a VCR was to feed the aerial rf signal through the unit to the TV rf input (allowing viewing and recording of broadcast programmes with the VCR in line), with rf channel 34 being the default value for the VCR play output. So there was no need to connect the RCA line outs. Many TVs did not have RCA inputs, as domestic users did not have an RCA video source before VCRs came along.

With the VCR in standby/off mode, only the rf signal feed-through would be on. The VCR model you have maybe configured such that the RCA line outs are only energised when a tape is installed, which might be a common arrangement given the normal VCR setup.
Thanks mate,it seems you are right ,i tried another brand Panasonic and it's exact same thing ,in order to get AV line in i have to put a tape in and press play and then stop tape and then i see av rca video in and out to coaxial cable to chan3 .

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
If you want to use the RF output to distribute the program you can just take the module out of the VCR. But that does not handle the HDMI to composite video conversion. Those modules take composite video plus audio.
The simpler way is to have a tape cartridge with the tape removed and the tape-end sensor holes taped over, With that arrangement you can put the VCR in record and pause and it can work.
What sort of streaming box have you found that has an audio and video output??

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
If you want to use the RF output to distribute the program you can just take the module out of the VCR. But that does not handle the HDMI to composite video conversion. Those modules take composite video plus audio.
The simpler way is to have a tape cartridge with the tape removed and the tape-end sensor holes taped over, With that arrangement you can put the VCR in record and pause and it can work.
What sort of streaming box have you found that has an audio and video output??
Thanks Misterbill2, I don't have a streaming box with RCA Video out,it has HDMI output, and i have an HDMI 4 way splitter for 3 hdmi tvs and i have an HDMI to RCA converter to go to VCR RCA line in 1 input ,i really don't mind to the Vcr like this ,i could leave the VCR always on that would keep Line in 1 input always active.

You also say?; If you want to use the RF output to distribute the program you can just take the module out of the VCR.

How i go about doing that, i'm an electronic repair hobbits specicial tv and computers ,but when it comes to theory and schematics understanding, i'm a little behind since all i've learned was by myself on the web and a few books without theorie and no school .

Attachments

Last edited:

Hymie

Joined Mar 30, 2018
This device should do what you want, convert an rf signal to AV, despite the seller being in the UK, it comes with a US power adapter – but does not specify the input signal (NTSC or PAL). I suspect it can handle either automatically. But before you buy such a device, you need to ensure that the rf signal from the VCR that you want is present.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/29558966...FWn9PdowZz/tovt1aAcjhq0OI=|tkp:Bk9SR7Kuh-uUYg

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The VCR can do it, there should be an output in the record mode if it is using the HDMI input. And if the TS can use the empty cartridge to trick the VCR then no problems with wearing out the heads or the tape in the pause mode.

Please let us know how it works out. I have a smart TV with no audio output except the fiber-optic one, and I really want to feed an external audio system with a stereo pair.

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
This device should do what you want, convert an rf signal to AV, despite the seller being in the UK, it comes with a US power adapter – but does not specify the input signal (NTSC or PAL). I suspect it can handle either automatically. But before you buy such a device, you need to ensure that the rf signal from the VCR that you want is present.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295589662903?hash=item44d28450b7:g:T5cAAOSwfIBkIpM9&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAA0F4rfpwyp2eGXIwK76HHIrrSwtMEOzD35ryJyjKTHbtrYIKcA9hbLvdreiR0JQ1Lgj1e3P+0aLzGwpMBJk7y+OKm3B9ZuI3Ah8YAhR6H495SELWT87N1+O0rbLAADRonYj+xzRPkiQ44jSlaicBZYupJe95PvvdtpTYJbg6kTJIzzRBOg6sHHn+BsN+Beg55PXqe74oMrF9EUENk1eknpgNsl0TZ1cWc0gyUUclEkgz0Su520cFMuJP85/Y95AFWn9PdowZz/tovt1aAcjhq0OI=|tkp:Bk9SR7Kuh-uUYg
I don't want to convert RF to AV ,i already have a couple of RCA to RF converters that i use on some of my setups ,but i needed another one and i had a few vcrs so i'm using one instead of going to buy another AV to Coaxial converter .
The VCR can do it, there should be an output in the record mode if it is using the HDMI input. And if the TS can use the empty cartridge to trick the VCR then no problems with wearing out the heads or the tape in the pause mode.

Please let us know how it works out. I have a smart TV with no audio output except the fiber-optic one, and I really want to feed an external audio system with a stereo pair.
I know it can do it ,That's what i'm using ,But MisterBill said?..Quoted ;. If you want to use the RF output to distribute the program you can just take the module out of the VCR ? i was curious what he meant!.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Without exception I find that the portion of a VCR that converts the composit video plus the audio signnal to channel 3 or 4 is an independent block, in it's own shield, that can be removed and used by itself. Often the connections are even marked, but not always. One DC supply is required to operate the module, you will need to use a voltmeter to know what that voltage should be. You will also need reasonable soldering skills to attach the wires to it. If you lack adequate soldering skills, forget the whole thing. Really. The connection points are usually small and quite close to each other.

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Without exception I find that the portion of a VCR that converts the composit video plus the audio signnal to channel 3 or 4 is an independent block, in it's own shield, that can be removed and used by itself. Often the connections are even marked, but not always. One DC supply is required to operate the module, you will need to use a voltmeter to know what that voltage should be. You will also need reasonable soldering skills to attach the wires to it. If you lack adequate soldering skills, forget the whole thing. Really. The connection points are usually small and quite close to each other.
That's a huge task that is not viable , for a few bucks you get this; https://www.walmart.com/ip/RF-Coaxi...-NTSC-For-CATV-System/1640235030?from=/search,

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
For free I get discarded VCRs, and removing that module does not even approach a "big task", much less "A Huge Task". Then making that little device produce the desired output will require having knowledge of the signal amplitudes being fed to it in the original VCR.
A "Huge Task" would be replacing all of the capacitors in the VCR. maybe.