20 Years

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
Hi all,

I forgot the exact date in May the site launched, but our community hit a milestone -- 20 years. It's been an absolute privilege being part of a team of thousands over the years growing AAC into the educational resource it is today. I started the site when I was 20 years old (yea......I'm 40 now :x ) and never imagined that millions of people around the world would come to our site to interact and learn -- every single month. We should all be super proud of the what we have collectively created! I know I sure am.

Thank you everyone, and here's to another 20!

Rob

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Hi all,

I forgot the exact date in May the site launched, but our community hit a milestone -- 20 years. It's been an absolute privilege being part of a team of thousands over the years growing AAC into the educational resource it is today. I started the site when I was 20 years old (yea......I'm 40 now :x ) and never imagined that millions of people around the world would come to our site to interact and learn -- every single month. We should all be super proud of the what we have collectively created! I know I sure am.

Rob
Hey, Rob—this is a chance to thank you for starting AAC (when I was 40). It's been a great community to be part of. I gain a great deal from both being helped by the excellent answers provided by our extremely competent and knowledgeable regulars, and from answering the questions of others which challenges me to confirm my own understanding of the subject matter.

Not only is it a great resource for the application of electrical engineering and allied disciplines to real problems at every level, but it is also a great community to be part of and I consider many people here my friends. I have been involved in many online communities over the last 40 years or so, and I know very well that things aren't always smooth. But with a commitment to supporting a kind and helpful culture, it is possible to create something that doesn't cater to the lowest common denominator.

This is actually much harder, though, than would be ideal and it takes focus, diligence, and a lot of energy. So, thanks for that as well. Here's to another 20 years of AAC. I can't wait to see what AAC looks like in the Metaverse! /me runs

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hi all,

Rob
I joined in 2006, when I was just shy of 58 and I'm still here. You've created something absolutely amazing; it's quite a legacy.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I joined in 2006, when I was just shy of 58 and I'm still here. You've created something absolutely amazing; it's quite a legacy.
You beat me by one year, Papabravo. When I joined this place I practically knew absolutely nothing, zero, zip, zilch and nada about electronics. And now thanks to this excellent forum and its extremely helpful (and interesting) members, I've practically built a career in which electronics is one of its pillars.

So yeah, thank you all, and long live AAC.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

@jrap , I know that in the beginning you where working with Dave.
At a certain point Dave did quit participating.
Do you have any idea what happened with Dave?

Bertus

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
Hello,

@jrap , I know that in the beginning you where working with Dave.
At a certain point Dave did quit participating.
Do you have any idea what happened with Dave?

Bertus
Dave discovered the forum quite early on and was a cornerstone of it's success. Unfortunately I don't know what happened, I imagine he may have become burntout or "Real Life" became the priority. People are definitely still benefitting from his years of forum contributions.

...got ya beat by an additional 20+ years- and i so miss ' those days '...and in so many ways -- long gone are the days when a little lad was welcome at the job site ( carpenters, framers, plumbers etc. ) , radiator shop, tv shop of coarse, junk yards, glass blowers, water treatment plants, --- real physics, chemistry, geology, ecology ( CO2 is NOT the enemy- as the calcium cycle, nitrogen cycle, hydrologic cycle, carbon cycle, etc ) home economics, taught by very dedicated real Nuns in perochial school and a very few real people in the public arena.... i thank God for such a life and His guidance !!!-----so very sad what has been lost, stolen, given away - our poor children

...what is refreshing is that the ' dream ' is not dead as there are quite a few youngsters that have the spark which prompted me to

: )

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
...got ya beat by an additional 20+ years- and i so miss ' those days '...and in so many ways -- long gone are the days when a little lad was welcome at the job site ( carpenters, framers, plumbers etc. ) , radiator shop, tv shop of coarse, junk yards, glass blowers, water treatment plants, --- real physics, chemistry, geology, ecology ( CO2 is NOT the enemy- as the calcium cycle, nitrogen cycle, hydrologic cycle, carbon cycle, etc ) home economics, taught by very dedicated real Nuns in perochial school and a very few real people in the public arena.... i thank God for such a life and His guidance !!!-----so very sad what has been lost, stolen, given away - our poor children

...what is refreshing is that the ' dream ' is not dead as there are quite a few youngsters that have the spark which prompted me to

: )
I don't follow. What exactly are you on about?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
This site has been the biggest contributor to the electronics knowledge that I have managed to compile. I owe most of what I know to members present and past, and the ebook. I am grateful for the opportunity to be here and I hope one day when life slows down I can contribute as much as I have benefited. This site hasn't changed much in 13 years and I hope it continues to not change.

EDIT: this thread got me feeling nostalgic. Who remembers loosewire bartending the off topic forum? I decided to go back and see what my own first post was. I was afraid it would be embarrassingly basic but it wasn't as bad as I feared. https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/...hind-selecting-a-resistor-for-npn-base.43775/

Last edited:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
....indeed
......not many here today had the pleasure of working on or even know about - flying spot scanner, or wire recorder, an original 4-track-- the precursor for the 8-track, and so much more !!.....back with 18c a gallon petrol and a solid perspective about life !!
I am not sure what you think the demographics of AAC are, but you’d be wrong concerning the active membership which has a large percentage of people in the older age brackets.

I think you mistook this thread for an opportunity to be nostalgic about your own experiences, not this shared one. It’s rankles a bit to see you assert that somehow your perspective on life is “solid” but, for example, my children’s is not simply because you are older. This is clearly a falsehood.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Obviously writing a coherent paragraph is beyond his abilities. Excessive use of multiple consecutive punctuation marks is a telltale sign of a disorganized thought process. It was never taught in school, and it looks illiterate.
This is unnecessarily insulting. I do think this new member is off to a rocky start but I don’t think characterizing him as suffering from a ”disorganized thought process” is called for. Some people are not at their best communicating by text, but the only real problem I have with his posts is their strangely off-topic nature.

Once we get to know him, he may turn out to be a person we like and an AAC regular. No need to start off wrong.

Speaking of off-topic, this diversion certainly is. I think it’s best to get back to the very pleasant and positive actual topic for this thread. I will not comment on this any more.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
...you got that right- "I am not sure what you think..."- i did not mistake anything but spoke directly to the subject- you would do best to not read so much into what was printed-- are you a psychoanalyst ???
As a new member, all of your three posts are off topic and contribute nothing to AAC.
Be warned that you are walking on thin ice.