[SOLVED] Magnetic stirrer stops working

lukxa

Joined Jan 17, 2023
Hello everyone, I recently got an MR 2000 Magnetic Digital Stirrer. The problem is that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Usually it starts regulary and works for some time(is different every time, but usually about a minute) and then it suddenly stops rotating. There seems to be some kind of speed detector(shown in the image) , so my best guess is that there might be something wrong with it.

Attachments

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I see what looks like a photo interrupter and a white object that looks like the beam interrupter.
Is this a stirrer with magnetic coupling to a spinner in the liquid? or does it have a mechanical coupled stirrer? Did it ever work as intended?
There could easily be a mechanical problem or an electrical problem, Or the liquid could be increasing viscosity.

lukxa

Joined Jan 17, 2023
I see what looks like a photo interrupter and a white object that looks like the beam interrupter.
Is this a stirrer with magnetic coupling to a spinner in the liquid? or does it have a mechanical coupled stirrer? Did it ever work as intended?
There could easily be a mechanical problem or an electrical problem, Or the liquid could be increasing viscosity.
Hello, thank you for your reply. I already solved the problem. The transformer was bad, it heated and stopped working while it cools down. I changed it and now it works.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
A defective component thermal failure! Those are often a challenge to locate. because they recover by the time they an be checked.
Can the TS please explain how the exact failing part was located? That could be useful insight for others in the future.

lukxa

Joined Jan 17, 2023
In troubleshooting electrical circuits, you should always check the power source and everything connected to it first. In this case, I got a little distracted by it stopping and then working again, but after some time, I came back to the power source and found out that the transformer is hot so I measured voltage and found out that is stops delivering power after some time, so I replaced it and everything is working now.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Locating failures caused by heating in components is often a challenge, as was discovered in this instance.
The basic service process applied very well: First, know and understand how the system is supposed to function, then see how it is actually functioning, then consider what will cause the change, and that is usually the failure point. This has been my service scheme for most of my career, and it has served very well.