Bldc motor

mibrahim

Joined Oct 15, 2017
Hi i have window cleaner ....problem is that when i on it the bldc motor not running ..i dont know if its a problem in bldc or pcb hardware ....i change the bldc drone motor with esc driving its beep like starting but it not rotate before there is small bldc motor which has 5 pins in which 4 are used vcc gnd pwm FC but its not moving ..please help me.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Welcome to AAC!
We would need a lot more information to provide helpful answers. For starters, what make and model are the 'window cleaner' and motor? Are there any markings on the cleaner, motor, pcb? What provides the power to all this? Can you upload well-focussed photos of these items?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
When an AC motor suddenly stops working the failure is seldom the motor itself. So replacing the motor first is seldom the solution. Mostly it is a power connection or a control problem, unless the motor has suffered mechanical damage of some kind.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It's a BLDC motor according to the TS.
Brushless motors are Ac operated, just not directly mains connected.
My intention was to convey that it is seldom the physical motor itself failing, but rather, far more often, wiring or controls that fail.
Thecorrect procedure is to start by verifying power availability, then verify that the controls are working.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Brushless motors are Ac operated,
You may want to brush up(pun intended) on your motors. A BLDC motor is a DC motor, there is another type called a EC(electrically commutated) that will run on AC but are not used much. -

"This article has focused so far on AC motors, brushed DC motors, and BLDC motors, but there’s another type of motor that you’ll hear about if you read a few articles on BLDC motors: the electronically commutated (EC) motor.

We’ve come across this type as well, and we were not able to determine the difference between brushless DC motors, and EC motors. Actually, EE Power states that “An electronically commutated motor is a three-phase, brushless DC motor. It comprises three major components: a circuit board, an electronic control module, and a three-phase motor with a permanent magnet rotor”. It seems that an EC motor is just a BLDC motor that’s being characterized by its method of commutation rather than by whether or not it involves brushes. EC motors also differ from BLDC motors of the past because they “can connect directly to AC mains power supplies with their integrated electronics.” So, for the purposes of this article, we’ll treat them as a new evolution in BLDC motors, but not separate from them." From - https://www.cencepower.com/blog-posts/ac-electric-motors-vs-dc-brushless-motors

As compared to a BLDC motor that is mains connected.

"Do brushless motors work on AC?
Brushless motors can use both low-voltage DC and high-voltage AC. If the bldc motor controller is connected to AC, the driver converts AC to DC for the motor to work. If DC is input, the brushless motor controller does not need to convert. High-voltage AC power is easy to obtain and can provide motor power." From - https://ican-motor.com/why-are-bldc-motors-called-dc-motors-while-they-run-on-ac/

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The type of BLDC that uses commutation devices is fitted with three detection devices, from the older hall sensor to the more recent optical track versions.
Only two windings are energized at any one time.
I have fitted a few of the optical types when fitting optical encoders in order to turn the motor into a servo.
A double beam 'scope is required to align the tracks as shown in the Renco app.
The method displays 3 phase AC as this is generated when the motor is back fed.

Attachments

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Yhe voltage applied to each winding is generally alternated in polarity as well as timing. So while the motor/controller assembly may run on DC, the individual windings are certainly being fed a form of AV power. Switched, not generated sine waves, but AC by the basic definition. So while the package is DC, the individual windings are seeing AC.