Power supply for a single-strand nichrome wire plastic bender

birckcmi

Joined Jan 1, 2018
I have awg 18, 20 and 22 nichrome wire to use building a plastic ( Lexan, acrylic, pvc) bender. I built one, but it no longer works, so I need help designing a new and better one. 120 AC to whatever DC voltage is required. Any help will be appreciated.

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
What's wrong with a hot air gun and a small nozzle, works for me, though I'm intrigued by the idea of a 'bender' for plexiglass/acrylic as I'm using them a lot for housings, protective guards, etc. at the mo.

birckcmi

Joined Jan 1, 2018
Thanks to both of you. I don't know why I got stuck on DC. Probably because I figured I'd have more control, by adding a DC speed controller between the AC power supply and the nichrome wire. Don't know anything about triacs, so I clearly need to find out more about them. And I need to be able to heat long or short widths of plex, which would make it difficult to heat the length evenly with a hair dryer. But you've supplied me with some ideas I will use. Thanks.

birckcmi

Joined Jan 1, 2018
Thanks to all of you for the input. When I realized that sussing out triacs for my power supply was going to be more involved than I thought, I settled on using a Router Speed Controller because they can be got for a variety of amperages and aren't particularly expensive. Then, upon noticing that all the AC power sources use 3-prong plugs, another issue arose: Heat requires amps, and I'd prefer that all those amps be grounded. So how do I ground an AC plastic bender?

birckcmi

Joined Jan 1, 2018
In researching this topic I realized that there are some pretty basic details about which I don't know squat, for example, what is this kind of power-delivery plug called? Power cord.pngPower cord.png

birckcmi

Joined Jan 1, 2018
Ronsimpson, I can understand that a triac transformer could be useful in many ways beyond my immediate need for a plastic bender, but I think the Router control will do the job. How do you make use of the more expensive option?